Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 InBev agrees to buy Anheuser for $50 billion 
    Banned
    So, for all the discussion of American companies and American beer, Anheuser was holding out for something much more American -- American green!

InBev agrees to buy Anheuser for $50 billion
    Sunday July 13, 9:45 pm ET
    By Jessica Hall and Martinne Geller

PHILADELPHIA/NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. brewer Anheuser-Busch Cos Inc (NYSE:BUD - News) agreed to a $50 billion takeover by Belgium-based InBev NV (Brussels:INTB.BR - News), a source familiar with the situation said on Sunday, creating the world's largest beer maker.

InBev, the maker of Stella Artois, and Budweiser-brewer Anheuser were not immediately available to comment.

The combined company will be called Anheuser-Busch InBev, said the sources, who agreed to speak on condition of anonymity. Anheuser will get seats on the new company's board, the sources said, but it was not immediately clear how many.

The deal brings an amicable resolution to a month-long saga that was becoming increasingly hostile as the two companies sued each other and InBev set the stage to try to replace Anheuser's board of directors.

InBev had proposed its own slate of nominees for the board that included Adolphus Busch IV, an uncle of the current chief executive of Anheuser-Busch.

InBev lured Anheuser to the bargaining table last week by raising its offer to $70 per share from $65 per share, a 27 percent premium over Anheuser's record-high stock price in October 2002

More...
    Interestingly enough, I used to drink Stella when I lived in London as (for one reason) it's a higher proof than other beers and than the Stella distributed in the US. When I first came to live in NYC, my local bartender didn't stock Stella. When I asked him why, his response was "It's the European version of Budweiser!" :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    So, for all the discussion of American companies and American beer, Anheuser was holding out for something much more American -- American green!

Interestingly enough, I used to drink Stella when I lived in London as (for one reason) it's a higher proof than other beers and than the Stella distributed in the US. When I first came to live in NYC, my local bartender didn't stock Stella. When I asked him why, his response was "It's the European version of Budweiser!" :eek:
    The European version of Budweiser is well it's Budweiser. Bavarian Budweiser but still Budweiser.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    The European version of Budweiser is well it's Budweiser. Bavarian Budweiser but still Budweiser.
    The European version in name is indeed the Czech Budvar. I think he was referring more to the taste. :D

Name

Taste

I love beer but I like it from the microbreweries in Colorado and Oregon.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    Name

Taste

I love beer but I like it from the microbreweries in Colorado and Oregon.
    Actually, since moving to New England, I've discovered several good microbreweries in Vermont and New Hampshire.

I've not been to New England and doubt I will ever get the chance. My son travels a lot and next time he heads that way, I'll have him pick up a few samples for me.

He was in Nova Scotia last fall and LOVED it. I think he got some ale there (he collects beer bottles from all over but only the ones he actually tried)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    I've not been to New England and doubt I will ever get the chance. My son travels a lot and next time he heads that way, I'll have him pick up a few samples for me.

He was in Nova Scotia last fall and LOVED it. I think he got some ale there (he collects beer bottles from all over but only the ones he actually tried)
    Have him try Long Trail...

I was going to post news of this, but not surprised CW would post it first and twist the knife deeper. I'm very saddened and disappointed. I have friends who work there, and I'm active in some charities that depend on the generosity of AB.

They're already announcing there will be deep cuts in benefits and many folks will lose their jobs. As far as opinions of the quality of Bud, if you don't like it, don't drink it. It's that simple.

It's very disappointing that all the grand talk of devotion to the community and the employees can be erased with $5 more a share.

At least it's good for the stockholders. Sadly, my ex retained all the shares of AB. Such is life in the sad city today. :(
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

The big Cheese
    I have always loved Point beer.

Tried this stuff recently :

http://www.realbeer.com/nmvbp/graphics/gif/newglrsc.gif

Great beer!
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

Banned
    Capitalism's wonderful when it's squashing people or communities one is not involved in; it's not as great when it puts its thumb on those "near and dear." Such is one of the ironies of life.