Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    DU is unhappy because they say Cindy McCain will get even richer.
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.

Goldwater
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Capitalism's wonderful when it's squashing people or communities one is not involved in; it's not as great when it puts its thumb on those "near and dear." Such is one of the ironies of life.
    What do you mean? Capitalism also creates and improves communities all the time. Think of how boring a town would be with no theaters, no diners, no transport etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    I was going to post news of this, but not surprised CW would post it first and twist the knife deeper. I'm very saddened and disappointed. I have friends who work there, and I'm active in some charities that depend on the generosity of AB.

They're already announcing there will be deep cuts in benefits and many folks will lose their jobs. As far as opinions of the quality of Bud, if you don't like it, don't drink it. It's that simple.

It's very disappointing that all the grand talk of devotion to the community and the employees can be erased with $5 more a share.

At least it's good for the stockholders. Sadly, my ex retained all the shares of AB. Such is life in the sad city today. :(
    Capitalism's wonderful when it's squashing people or communities one is not involved in; it's not as great when it puts its thumb on those "near and dear." Such is one of the ironies of life.
    In The Corporate world there are always stories of doom & gloom following a major acquisition or merger. Everything I've read or heard about it is there are going to be little to no discernible changes in the public eye. HQ still will be in St.Louis, AB gets top billing in name but one can safely assume InBev will relocate some of it's management team to St. Louis.

$5/share will go along way to wards recouping the looses on retirement funds that divested themselves of the evil Tobacco company stocks.
    Last edited by Zeus; 07-14-2008 at 05:51 PM.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    In The Corporate world there are always stories of doom & gloom following a major acquisition or merger. Everything I've read or heard about it is there are going to be little to no discernible changes in the public eye. HQ still will be in St.Louis, AB gets top billing in name but one can safely assume InBev will relocate some of it's management team to St. Louis.

$5/share will go along way to wards recouping the looses on retirement funds that divested themselves of the evil Tobacco company stocks.
    The Brazilian is sending his hatchet men in to "evaluate" the employees. I'm sure there will be many heads rolling. I feel for the little people---not the board or the Busches. Incidentally, Carlos Brios will be the head of the company. Busch IV will have 1 of the 2 board seats allocated to the former AB company.

In the long run it will be better for the stockholders. The former board and AB exec's were huge spenders. They were saying in the paper and on the local stations that the former AB execs and board members always flew on corporate jets. They wore Rolexes, gasp. The new guy makea a point of wearing a Timex and flying commercial airlines, only using biz class if it's over a 6 hour flight. Have to admit I admire that.

The stock was flat for over 5 years. I think the new management probably will do a good job. It's just going to be tough for the AB employees to become accustomed to the type benefits I get, vs their lavish ones. I guess the gravy train can only go on for so long.

I just feel for the non-profits, who were surviving in this time of decreasing contributions by putting their hand out to AB.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Banned
    America's classy response to the workings of that system we love so well, capitalism...

Kiss our glasses

America's classy response to the workings of that system we love so well, capitalism...

Kiss our glasses
    You take being a condescending, arrogant person to an art form. If America is so distasteful to you and not "classy" enough, why don't you be an expatriate? I'm sure you could find elegant lodging in Paris and you wouldn't have to associate with the little people.

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"

Banned
    You take being a condescending, arrogant person to an art form. If America is so distasteful to you and not "classy" enough, why don't you be an expatriate? I'm sure you could find elegant lodging in Paris and you wouldn't have to associate with the little people.
    In addition to the sideswipe at the déclassé response, I was pointing out that capitalism, so worshiped amongst the board members here, ain't exactly pretty when it's used against you (the same lesson I strove to teach regarding the Dome). What is your attitude about American companies buying say, Italian or French companies? Do you mourn for the locals who are displaced or is your attitude more along the lines "Stupid foreigners couldn't manage their own finances so American expertise and business savvy beat them out. The locals will be better with Americans in charge, anyway."

Besides, while I was an expat for 11 years, I'm not a millionaire, unlike some of the other gentlemen on this board (who remind of that constantly), so I can't afford to live in Paris. But who knows what the future will bring!

Its a damn shame that yet another American ICON kneels to cash instead of standing on tradition, but I'm a capitalist and I must applaud the winds of change. My biggest concern from here in Florida, and a annual card member to Busch Gardens and Sea World, is that Inbev is gonna sell the parks to pay for the deal. Side note: if your ever in Vegas go to Main Street Station and have the Blackchip Ale. Splendiferouslydelectable is the word that comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ConJinx View Post
    Its a damn shame that yet another American ICON kneels to cash instead of standing on tradition, but I'm a capitalist and I must applaud the winds of change. My biggest concern from here in Florida, and a annual card member to Busch Gardens and Sea World, is that Inbev is gonna sell the parks to pay for the deal. Side note: if your ever in Vegas go to Main Street Station and have the Blackchip Ale. Splendiferouslydelectable is the word that comes to mind.
    AB was a symbol of pride for our city, after so many companies moved their headquarters elsewhere, such as SBC, General Dynamics, Ralston Purina, McDonnellDouglass being absorbed by Boeing.

If anyone is in the STL area, be sure to stop by Grant's Farm and the Brewery, before the evil Carlos shuts them down. Both are free (other than the parking fee at Grant's Farm), but so worth the visit.

I'm a capitalist, believe in free trade, but it's difficult when people get hurt, whether locally or around the globe. Like most people, I feel bad that America is now for sale at bargain basement prices. I'm praying that things turn around.

Suspect it's going to be difficult to sell the AB theme parks. Disney already has their theme parks and doubt if they'll be a prospect, ditto with Six Flags. They seem to be hurt with fewer people visiting, due to the increased cost of gas and other economic factors.

BTW, wonder who all the millionaires (or self-proclaimed) are on the board---the gentlemen CW alluded to.

"

Power CUer
    BTW, wonder who all the millionaires (or self-proclaimed) are on the board---the gentlemen CW alluded to.
    Don't assume they're all gentlemen, or even men. ;)