Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Need help: Green beans with bacon 
    Ok, I've agreed to bring a side dish to a party... green beans with bacon. Knowing all the bacon-lovers here, I thought I'd get your advice, since I've never made it before.

Is it just as simple as cooking up some bacon, cooking up some green beans, and mixing the 2 together? Or is there some trick that makes yours really rock? I'm open to suggestions...
    The problem in the next four years will be not just that the president of the United States serially does not tell the truth. Instead, the real crisis in our brave new relativist world will be that those who demonstrate that he is untruthful will themselves be accused of lying. - Victor Davis Hanson

It's slightly more complicated than that. The object is to flavor the green beans with onion (or shallots) and bacon fat.

Cook the beans until they are tender but still crisp and chill them instantly in cold water. Cook the bacon and remove it from the pan. Add diced onion and the beans to the bacon fat and cook for maybe 5 minutes. Crumble the bacon over the beans (use a lot of bacon).

I got this one.
    I guess you can substitute the ham with bacon!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by samurai View Post
    Ok, I've agreed to bring a side dish to a party... green beans with bacon. Knowing all the bacon-lovers here, I thought I'd get your advice, since I've never made it before.

Is it just as simple as cooking up some bacon, cooking up some green beans, and mixing the 2 together? Or is there some trick that makes yours really rock? I'm open to suggestions...
    Green Beans With Mushrooms and Crispy Onion Rings

1/2 small red onion, cut into thin rings and separated
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    kosher salt and black pepper
    2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
    8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
    1 cup 1 percent milk
    1 pound frozen green beans, thawed

toss the onion with 1 tablespoon of the flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the onion, stirring, until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes; transfer to a plate.

Wipe out the skillet and heat the remaining tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Cook mushrooms, stirring, until tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
    Reduce heat to medium. Sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of flour over the mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.

Add the milk and 1⁄4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Simmer, stirring, until mixture begins to thicken, 1 to 2 minutes. Add green beans and cook until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Top with the onions.
    ..................................or
    Green Bean Supreme

3 (14.5-ounce) cans French-style green beans, undrained
    4 bacon slices, chopped
    2 tablespoons chopped onion
    1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
    1/2 cup chopped pimiento, drained
    2 tablespoons butter or margarine
    1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
    1 (2-ounce) can mushrooms, undrained
    1/2 pound processed American cheese, cut into cubes
    1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 cup crushed Ritz crackers canned onion rings
    Butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, cook green beans with bacon pieces and onion long enough to cook bacon and season beans; remove from heat. Drain bean mixture and place into an ungreased two-quart casserole dish.

In the same saucepan over medium heat, sauté bell pepper and pimiento in butter or margarine. Add mushroom soup, mushrooms, American cheese, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted and mixture is thick. Remove from heat and pour over beans. Sprinkle with crushed Ritz crackers or onions rings and dot with butter.

Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes or until top is golden brown and thoroughly heated.

The old-fashioned German cooking of my mom was simpler. Make a simple roux by frying a little bacon and onion bits, use some of the fat, not all, and mix in a bit of flour to thicken. Then add the beans and yum! Very good, very tasty, even with the dread canned green beans. It's better with either frozen or fresh, but that's just my humble preference.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Thanks for all the help, folks! I pretty much went with Gingersnap's relatively quick and simple recipe, and it turned out great! Adding the onion worked well, and everyone enjoyed the dish!
    The problem in the next four years will be not just that the president of the United States serially does not tell the truth. Instead, the real crisis in our brave new relativist world will be that those who demonstrate that he is untruthful will themselves be accused of lying. - Victor Davis Hanson

Quote Originally Posted by samurai View Post
    Thanks for all the help, folks! I pretty much went with Gingersnap's relatively quick and simple recipe, and it turned out great! Adding the onion worked well, and everyone enjoyed the dish!
    I'm glad people enjoyed it! It's simple but tasty -- Midwestern farm cooking strikes again. :)

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    The old-fashioned German cooking of my mom was simpler. Make a simple roux by frying a little bacon and onion bits, use some of the fat, not all, and mix in a bit of flour to thicken. Then add the beans and yum! Very good, very tasty, even with the dread canned green beans. It's better with either frozen or fresh, but that's just my humble preference.
    I wouldn't have thought to do them that way. And it even would work with canned green beans. Nice.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    I wouldn't have thought to do them that way. And it even would work with canned green beans. Nice.
    The green beans need to be kinda crisp and crunchy but not soggy !

Banned
    My 2 favorite ways: canned whole green beans wrapped in bacon, tied with a toothpick and cooked in the oven, microwave or on the BB pit. #2 cannned french style green beans saute in butter and seasoned. Cook bacon in microwave. Grind cooked bacon in a blender, add to beans and saute for another min.I add only a small amount of bacon grease. Quick and easy.