Thread: Sunday at the Movies...and the Bookstore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Sunday at the Movies...and the Bookstore 
    Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Cool and cloudy on The Mountain. We may get some rain.

On our last vacation we carried a bag full of DVD’s to watch during the hottest part of the day. On Edisto, in August, the heat and the humidity makes it uncomfortable enough to be outside from noon til about five that we planned some time each day for reading and watching movies. The unit had a decent flat-screened TV and a DVD player so we took some good movies to watch. We carried a lot more movies than we would have time to watch because it’s nice to have a choice depending on what mood we may be in.

I’m lucky that Miz Bubba loves action movies in addition to the romantic comedies she enjoys so we had lots to choose from.

We took all three Bourne movies and watched them in order. I love those movies.
    We took Fargo, O Brother Where Art Thou, and Raising Arizona. We watched a couple of those. We also carried Open Range and enjoyed watching it very much. I love that movie too.

Another movie that I really like and that not a lot of people have seen is The Duelists. Directed by Ridley Scott. It is based on a short story by Joseph Conrad who based his story loosely on a pair of actual duelists in the army of Napoleon. It is beautifully filmed and reportedly very accurate in its depiction of the dueling techniques of the time...

Set during the Napoleonic Wars, it features two French Hussar officers, Armand d'Hubert (Keith Carradine) and Gabriel Féraud (Harvey Keitel). A misunderstanding between them over an initially minor incident becomes a quarrel that turns into a bitter, long-drawn out feud over the following fifteen years, interwoven with the larger conflict that provides its backdrop. At the beginning, Féraud is the one who jealously guards his honor and repeatedly demands satisfaction anew when a duelling encounter ends inconclusively; he aggressively pursues every opportunity to locate and duel with his foe.
    As the story progresses, d'Hubert also finds himself caught up in the contest. He is unable to refuse Féraud's repeated challenges to duel or to walk away because of the rigid code of honour. The feud persists through the different campaigns of the Napoleonic war, and on into the period of the Bourbon restoration which follows. When the story begins, both men are lieutenants, and over time both rise through the ranks to reach the rank of General….
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Duellists

The action is gritty and realistic. The movie is really well done. I’ve recommended it before but I like to mention it from time to time.

TOTD: Recommend a movie that you like.

I read The Family by Jeff Sharlet and a sci/fi novel Lord of Light by Roger Zelazney. Both these books were very good.

AlternateTOTD; Recommend a book that you like.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

TOTD: Kingpin

The Duelists was great.

TOTD: for more swashbuckling fun: On Guard

AlternaTOTD: The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson. Okay, that's three books, but they also contain swordplay and duels.
    ... certain forms of ammunition have no legitimate sporting, recreational, or self-defense use and thus should be prohibited. Such action is long overdue.

- Ronald Reagan

Any of the Lonesome Dove or Lord of the Rings.

The last ten years, I have really been stuck on westerns.

Good choices.

I haven't heard of the Baroque Cycle until you mentioned it. I'll check it out.

I like westerns. Any Louis Lamour story is a winner. Appaloosa was a good western novel that was made into a good movie. If you haven't seen it check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by FeebMaster View Post
    The Duelists was great.

TOTD: for more swashbuckling fun: On Guard

AlternaTOTD: The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson. Okay, that's three books, but they also contain swordplay and duels.
    On Guard sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    TOTD: Kingpin
    I liked that one. National Lampoon's Vacation and Christmas Vacation are a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Good choices.

I haven't heard of the Baroque Cycle until you mentioned it. I'll check it out.
    It's an immense beast. 3000+ pages of historical-ish fiction with Newton and Leibniz and the discovering of the Calculus as a backdrop piled high with Stephenson's great characters and dialog.

If you decide to read it, pick up Cryptonomicon first. It's one book, and most of the characters in it are descendants of the Baroque Cycle characters. It will get you used to Stephenson's style.

For that matter, I'd recommend any of Stephenson's books. He's easily one of my favorite authors.

Check this out: Pictures of the Baroque Cycle manuscript.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    On Guard sounds good.
    It was great. I just stumbled across it one day. Talk about good luck.
    ... certain forms of ammunition have no legitimate sporting, recreational, or self-defense use and thus should be prohibited. Such action is long overdue.

- Ronald Reagan

TOTD: Well, in my opinion, you can't go too wrong with any movie made by Pixar. I've seen everyone they've made and have yet to be disapointed. My three favorites (four actually) are WALL-E, Ratatouille and, tied for 3rd, Cars and The Incredibles. All great movies and well worth the time.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf