Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    We were able to get beautiful jewelry when we lived in the Middle East. The gold souks were amazing

She felt guilty when she had the stuff re-appraised recently.

I imagine she will use it on travel. She wants to cruise from Charleston to (I think it's Florida).

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    She felt guilty when she had the stuff re-appraised recently.
    Guilty? Why?

Cause we got it for a song and she was one of the best "negotiators" ever. You never pay the tag price there, you make a ridiculous offer, they act shocked, you walk down the alley, they come after you, you have a coffee and then pay something more in line.
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.

Power CUer
    That's the way the game is played. If her price had not been acceptable, they wouldn't have accepted it. Are you saying she feels guilty because she got things "too cheaply"? I don't even understand that.

That being said, I'm a terrible negotiator, and I'm happy to step aside and let my husband do it. I think it's from an upbringing that taught me it wasn't polite to talk about money so openly. My husband says, "Honey, you're a nice girl, but the problem is that you were raised to pay retail." :p

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    That's the way the game is played. If her price had not been acceptable, they wouldn't have accepted it. Are you saying she feels guilty because she got things "too cheaply"? I don't even understand that.
    Oh, she knows that. I think she just feels that if any other crazy American had come along they would have made a lot more. She still has close ties to our friends from Beirut.We were all ready to go back when 9/11 happened.

I have seen her bargain in Belks and Dillards. She is a character.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Okay, so it sounded about right to me, but people who got all $600 probably were at an income level where they needed it to pay bills.
    No, they were supposed to eat cake...er, I mean buy earrings.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

I believe the real point she was making is that this is a last-ditch half-assed effort by a lame-duck president that wants to look even half way legitimate upon his departure from the Oval Office. The Emperor indeed has no clothes and this is just a silly shell game - using our own money. I'm glad I'm not getting a check - as it would just piss me off about this silly man’s deception - yet another time.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Botox lady seems to have liked it

Democrats Are Weighing More Tax Rebates, Pelosi Says (Update2)

By Laura Litvan

July 15 (Bloomberg) -- House Democrats, concerned that rising energy prices will erase the benefit of the tax rebates sent to more than 100 million households this year, said they are weighing plans for a second economic stimulus proposal.

``We will be proceeding with another stimulus package, and we once again hope we will work in a bipartisan way,'' House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said after House Democratic leaders met with a group of economists to discuss the spreading housing crisis and rising gas prices.

That being said, I'm surprised that people here think $600 is a lot for earrings. Have you seen what gold costs per ounce these days?
    I WANT YOUR SALARY, WOMAN!

Holy shit! The day I spend $600 on a pair of earrings is the day I win the lottery, and even then, I wouldn't spend $600 on a pair of earrings. I don't care if they ARE gold. I'd rather put that money towards my health insurance, tires for my car, books, gas....

T My husband says, "Honey, you're a nice girl, but the problem is that you were raised to pay retail." :p
    I also want your husband.;)