Thread: Woman Dies From Stepping On Bugs.

1. #1 Woman Dies From Stepping On Bugs. 
    Doctors: Woman Died After Stepping on Venomous Caterpillars

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A Canadian woman died last year after stepping barefoot on several caterpillars, doctors reported in a teaching case published Monday in the Canadian Medical Association Journal.

The 22-year old woman from Alberta died 10 days after stepping on five caterpillars while on a trip to northeastern Peru.

The woman felt immediate pain in her right foot, which spread to her thigh, and later developed a headache. The pain in her leg was worse when she walked on it.

The leg pain and headache disappeared within 12 hours so she did not seek treatment while in Peru, the doctors reported in their case study.

After returning to Canada, she was treated at the University of Alberta hospital for extensive bruising on her legs.

After searching databases, doctors determined the symptoms may have been caused by venomous caterpillars, which can cause wide-spread internal bleeding in humans.

Arrangements were made to get a South American antivenin treatment to Canada, but it took 48 hours to do so and by that time it was too late for the young woman who died from multi-organ failure three days after being admitted to the hospital.
    You are just asking for trouble if you go barefoot outside.

Squishy

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    You are just asking for trouble if you go barefoot outside.

Squishy
    Most everything is Venomous down there in the Jungle !

noonwitch
    Geez, and my mom wouldn't let us go barefoot because she worried about plantar's warts and hookworms!

I'd never go barefoot anywhere I didn't know what 'wildlife' was likely to be about.

BTW since it is bug day in the lounge, how about these beauties?

Experts say a slug with blade-like teeth found in a Welsh garden is a new species, the BBC reported.

The creature was discovered in Cardiff last year and sucks in earthworms like spaghetti, the BBC said on Thursday. Another was found in Caerphilly.

Called the "ghost slug," the Selenochlamys ysbryda has no eyes or bodily coloring and likely evolved in a cave system, according to experts at the National Museum of Wales and Cardiff University.

... http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,382841,00.html
    LONDON The experts at London's Natural History Museum pride themselves on being able to identify species from around the globe, from birds and mammals to insects and snakes. Yet they can't figure out a tiny red-and-black bug that has appeared in the museum's own gardens.

The almond-shaped insect, about the size of a grain of rice, was noticed in March 2007 on some of the plane trees that grow on the grounds of the 19th century museum, collections manager Max Barclay said Tuesday.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,382453,00.html

Yuck, yuck, yuck and double yuck. Oh, and thanks for the pics, too. I've never scrolled so fast down a thread. Yeah, I'm a wuss when it comes to disgusting bugs and animals. (Jellyfish get me the worst.) Sue me.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana