Thread: Transcendental Meditation in schools, the David Lynch program

1. #1 Transcendental Meditation in schools, the David Lynch program 
    Transcendental Meditation in schools, the David Lynch program
    September 6, 3:38 PM Boston Skepticism Examiner Douglas Mesner

Expel from your mind the stereotyped image of the robed, bearded yogi. Forget the worn image of the unkempt, hash-headed, lotus-seated hippy listening to sitar music in an incense-filled room behind a beaded curtain. This is not the Transcendental Meditation [TM] we are talking about. This is Science!

“Hundreds of scientific studies have been conducted on the benefits of the Transcendental Meditation program at more than 200 independent universities and research institutions worldwide in the past 35 years,” explains the TM-promoting David Lynch Foundation for Consciousness-Based Education and World Peace website. Among the positive side-effects of the TM program, we find: increased focus, decreased hostility, reduced anxiety, even a reduction in cardiovascular disease among practitioners.

Surely, with this in mind, no reasonable person would argue against teaching the TM method in public schools.

http://www.examiner.com/x-20682-Bost...-Lynch-program

I've always enjoyed David Lynch's films but I never knew he was such a crackpot.
    Last edited by The Night Owl; 09-10-2009 at 08:18 PM.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post

I've always enjoyed David Lynch's films but I never knew he was such a crackpot.
    Any type of repetitive chanting or praying can duplicate the relaxation response. TM also claims to work all kinds of miracles in addition to "flying". None of their "community" experiments have worked out.

Teaching kids to master their own emotions is no bad thing but there a lot of ways of doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post

How can you watch his films and not realize he's a crackpot? Did you ever watch Twin Peaks?

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    How can you watch his films and not realize he's a crackpot? Did you ever watch Twin Peaks?
    The films of David Lynch don't cause me to think he's a crackpot because they're not presented as truth.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas