1. #1 So I bought two Portabello mushroom caps.. Now what?? 
    I heard you can make them taste like steak on the grill if you do it right...

Go.
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

Heck usually if I want something to taste like a steak on the grill I just buy a steak and grill it!

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    I haven't done this recipe but it is similar to the way I did it:

Grilled Portobello Mushrooms
    Rated:

Submitted By: BFOLLICK
    Photo By: Allrecipes
    Prep Time: 10 Minutes
    Cook Time: 10 Minutes Ready In: 1 Hour 20 Minutes
    Servings: 3

"These meaty mushrooms marinate in oil, onion, garlic and vinegar for an hour before they are tossed on a hot grill to cook to perfection. Absolutely sublime."

Ingredients:

3 portobello mushrooms
    1/4 cup canola oil
    3 tablespoons chopped onion 4 cloves garlic, minced
    4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Directions:

1. Clean mushrooms and remove stems, reserve for other use. Place caps on a plate with the gills up.
    2. In a small bowl, combine the oil, onion, garlic and vinegar. Pour mixture evenly over the mushroom caps and let stand for 1 hour.
    3. Grill over hot grill for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe-Tools/P...913&servings=3
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Thanks, guys... Hey, rockn'.... My wife is a vegetarian, but a very non-preachy one.. That's one of the reasons I love her! She ate meat growing up, but has been meat-free for over 20 years for personal reasons.. She admits to missing steak, so I just wanted to make something nice for her, and I was told that if you cook a portabello right it tastes like steak.. But I have never done it! I passed by a package at the store and bought it with the expectation that you nuts would have a great recipe!
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    I really like Portabellas on the grill. They also complement a good steak.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by stsinner View Post
    Thanks, guys... Hey, rockn'.... My wife is a vegetarian, but a very non-preachy one.. That's one of the reasons I love her! She ate meat growing up, but has been meat-free for over 20 years for personal reasons.. She admits to missing steak, so I just wanted to make something nice for her, and I was told that if you cook a portabello right it tastes like steak.. But I have never done it! I passed by a package at the store and bought it with the expectation that you nuts would have a great recipe!
    When I was a kid in Minnesota we had a mushroom that looked like a brain that would grow on the sides of trees. I would slice them and lightly batter them with bisquick baking mix and fry them at a lower temperature so the butter wouldn't burn. They had a delicious meaty taste. I have never found any in Oklahoma.