Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafod View Post
    We sent a man to the moon, we can get oil out of shale.....
    Yeah, but that took leadership and balls. In short supply in the new century.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Yeah, but that took leadership and balls. In short supply in the new century.
    And your answer is to ration gas?

Good answer, NOT.

The answer is to charge as much as the market can stand, in order to make it worth the producers' while to develop new resources, new extraction technologies and viable, scaleable alternatives.

Taxing producers and rationing consumers is the worst possible thing to do. Both will nix any small chance we have of getting over the hurdle.

Let the market price determine how much gets spent on development.

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    A lot of LP's doom-and-gloom peak oil posts are just that ... gleefull doom and gloom, for the sake of it. One can only speculate as to why he should want this to happen. Look at the psychology forum of peakoil.org to get an insight as to why...around 50pc of the posters actually want peak oil to happen, as soon as possible.
    Well, actually, my perspective is based on the old Boy Scout motto: Always be prepared.

I’m actually on the shop floor - at ground zero of this issue. Normally I have 100-150 aircraft components flowing through my repair station and this morning I have (1) shipper in my file. That's one. I’m scratching at keeping my guys busy - doing machine repair and maintenance, and some have been with this company since 1972. I’m in negotiations with a Canadian oiltool maker presently and hope to get some of his equipment in my shop to do repairs, of the grind-chrome-grind category, to keep from having to lay some very skilled folks off shortly.

So talk all the shit you will about me being doom and gloom - as you’ve only got your job to lose. I’ve got a great deal more at risk than that - first being people that depend on me for their family’s well-being.

Understand that we're going through this - this tipping point - because of a very stupid man that thought he'd show how much more of a leader he was than his father. If you believe anything else you're a very stupid asshole.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

A lot of LP's doom-and-gloom peak oil posts are just that ... gleefull doom and gloom, for the sake of it. One can only speculate as to why he should want this to happen. Look at the psychology forum of peakoil.org to get an insight as to why...around 50pc of the posters actually want peak oil to happen, as soon as possible.
    And take this article also....and from a liberal site no less. I for one do not believe in POT.

I will first argue that the Peak Oil theory is unscientific, unrealistic, and perhaps even fraudulent.
    http://www.counterpunch.org/zadeh07092008.html
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Well, actually, my perspective is based on the old Boy Scout motto: Always be prepared.

I’m actually on the shop floor - at ground zero of this issue. Normally I have 100-150 aircraft components flowing through my repair station and this morning I have (1) shipper in my file. That's one. I’m scratching at keeping my guys busy - doing machine repair and maintenance, and some have been with this company since 1972. I’m in negotiations with a Canadian oiltool maker presently and hope to get some of his equipment in my shop to do repairs, of the grind-chrome-grind category, to keep from having to lay some very skilled folks off shortly.

So talk all the shit you will about me being doom and gloom - as you’ve only got your job to lose. I’ve got a great deal more at risk than that - first being people that depend on me for their family’s well-being.

Understand that we're going through this - this tipping point - because of a very stupid man that thought he'd show how much more of a leader he was than his father. If you believe anything else you're a very stupid asshole.
    I don't think I'm a very stupid asshole, or even an asshole at all.

I am glad to see you refute my opinion of you ... although I still maintain that you do seem to take a lot of pleasure in talking up oil prices and talking down the economy, and my position remains, that I cannot understand why you, or anyone, should do this, especially when it hurts not only you, but your employees.

If you think this is all President Bush's fault, then you really have failed to understand the basics of the problem. The basics are not down to any one person, any one individual.

The basics are down to a collective societal head- in-the-sand mentality that has said for years, and is no longer getting away with saying, that it will not be our problem, not in our lifetime.

It will be our problem, it is already becoming our problem, and it will impact us severely in less than five years time.

To blame one president for this problem is to miss the point completely.

To elect another, who will declare war on big oil, regardless of party affiliation, is really to miss the point.

To blame one president for this problem is to miss the point completely.

Try focusing in on this one more time: "this tipping point", as in this has never happened in the history of my nation. Our society is about to change - forever - and I refuse to smile and say it's for the good.

Try focusing in on this one more time: "this tipping point", as in this has never happened in the history of my nation. Our society is about to change - forever - and I refuse to smile and say it's for the good.
    So instead you blame it on President Bush.

He may not be the greatest president of all time but you cannot reasonably pin the blame for this on him.

As a part of the aviation industry, you are as much a part of the problem as he is, or I am.

Come up with some solutions, forgoddsake...some real ones, rather than demand destruction. Or just shut up, if you can't, if you don't have any.

So instead you blame it on President Bush.

He may not be the greatest president of all time but you cannot reasonably pin the blame for this on him.

As a part of the aviation industry, you are as much a part of the problem as he is, or I am.

Come up with some solutions, forgoddsake...some real ones, rather than demand destruction. Or just shut up, if you can't, if you don't have any.
    I don't believe it's just Bush. Your right this train started derailiing long ago, but he has ample blame as he sold us he was as a conservative. He has ignored the economy far worse than Bush I or Clinton did...and he's running the show now.

BTW. Since your in Europe...are you aware of this site? Thought you would like it.
    I read it often.

http://www.brusselsjournal.com/
    Last edited by Molon Labe; 07-17-2008 at 06:10 PM.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Engaging my nation in a massive military conflict - instead of surgical operations, by folks that willingly kill for a living, is what started this snowball down the proverbial slope. No one thing got us to where we are today, but voting for this person - twice - despite a gut feeling that said it was a mistake (and I know that some of you felt it), is the gold standard for stupidity.

Stupidity as in: Doing the same thing over and over again - expecting a different outcome.

And yes, as part of the aerospace industry - my facility does share some of the blame for what’s occurring - right this moment. That’s what happens when you work to a quality standard that insures the jet your flying in doesn’t auger into some field in Kansas.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Yes, and this time next year we’ll look back on these days with great fondness, chuckling at our naïve thoughts - as the Asians suck up every available drop that our Canadian neighbors produce - paying exactly what the new Chinese and Indian consumers can bear.

All this domestic posturing is too little - too late. And you’d think a former Texas oil man would know better. But if you can’t keep your own company (sponsored by Bush41) afloat, maybe not.

LP,

Even given the growing Chinese and Indian markets, we have enough oil to offset that increase in demand.

You are correct in that we are a bit late to the party, and it WILL be too little - UNLESS we allow drilling everywhere available and unless we take common sense conservation steps to offset the demand elsewhere.

If we DO what is needed, though, there is no reason we should not be paying in the $2.00 per gallon range for gasoline and in the $60 - $80 range for oil.