1. #1 "Best Watch out Snapper They will Come for the Smell of the Soup !" 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s

Bear Attacks Colorado Man Inside His Home

ASPEN, Colo. —
    A man was attacked by a large black bear in his Aspen home in the latest in a string of violent encounters with the animals this summer in the mountain community.

Colorado Division of Wildlife spokesman Randy Hampton said the man had gone to the first floor of his home to check on his three barking dogs when the bear struck him in the head.

Hampton said the man did not suffer life-threatening injuries and was being treated at a local hospital. His name was not released.

Wildlife officers are searching for the bear in the neighborhood and have set up a trap in the area. The bear will be euthanized when it is found.

"These are large, powerful animals. You certainly don't want to end up in this situation, especially in your home," Hampton said.

Wildlife officers in and near the resort town about 200 miles west of Denver have killed at least nine bears so far this summer because of their aggressive behavior. Area police have responded to about 200 bear sightings in August, up from 16 last August.

Hampton said "it's been incredibly frustrating" for wildlife officers to have to deal with the increased bear activity and have to euthanize the animals because people are not disposing of trash and storing food properly.

In addition to trash, Hampton said an abundance of fruit and crabapple trees in Aspen are also attracting bears. He said bears are particularly active now because they are preparing for hibernation, consuming about 20,000 calories a day and spending 20 hours a day eating.

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_frien...549280,00.html
    Last edited by megimoo; 09-11-2009 at 06:47 PM.

Soup is our balm. It soothes a body fevered by flu, and calms an anxious spirit. Soup is our strengthener. Nothing is more fortifying than beans, grains and vegetables simmered together in broth.

Soup can be clear or it can be chunky. It can be served steaming hot to beat the winter chill, or cold and refreshing on a hot summer's day.

Soup is a mother's best friend. It can be made in vats and frozen for the frantic day when there is no time for the kitchen. It accepts a stray carrot or stalk of celery that clutters the refrigerator. Make soup today, in large, heavy pots. We frequently use an 8 quart pot that also functions to boil pasta. Soup likes room to breathe.

Julia Child's Potato Leek Soup
    Hot soup and a cold winter day go together like nothing else. The smell of simmering onions in butter is like perfume to me. It's like culinary foreplay, if you will! This is a recipe from the queen herself, Julia Child, for the classic potato leek soup. Here’s an old joke my father told me a hundred times... “How do you make vichyssoise? First, you take a leek.”

Ingredients
    3-4 cups of diced peeled potatoes (1 lb.)
    3 cups thinly sliced leeks, including the tender greens
    2 quarts water
    1 Tablespoon salt
    6 tablespoons heavy cream or 3 tablespoons softened butter
    3 tablespoons minced chives or parsley

Procedure
    Simmer vegetables, salt, and water together, partially covered for 40-50 minutes in a 3-4 quart saucepan. Mash the vegetables into the soup with a fork or pass through a food mill. Julia does not like the texture of soup pureed in a blender, your call. Adjust salt and pepper. You can stop at this point. When ready to serve, bring soup back to simmering. Then off the heat, stir in the cream or butter and top with chopped chives or parsley. It does not get much better than that! Makes 2 quarts of soup for 6-8 servings.
    GERMAN VEGETABLE SOUP

1 Soup bone, large
    1 pt Tomato
    1 pt Lima beans
    1 p Corn, grated
    2 cabbage, chopped
    1 Turnip, large, diced
    1 Carrot, diced
    1 Onion, sliced
    1 t Flour
    1/2 cMilk
    1 x Salt & pepper
    1 x Water, cold

Wash soup bone thoroughly and cover with cold water
    and allow it to boil for several hours. Skim off the
    fat and add the vegetables. Season to taste. Mix the
    flour with the milk and stir into soup. Cook for 1
    hour and serve hot.
    Last edited by megimoo; 09-11-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Don't worry about me. Let any bears worry about me. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Don't worry about me. Let any bears worry about me. :D
    Goldie Locks is that you ?I was told your hair was Ginger Red, A Strawberry Blond ?

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Goldie Locks is that you ?I was told your hair was Ginger Red, A Strawberry Blond ?

Aspenites are legendary for their disregard of any inconvenient rules or laws involving wildlife, back country skiing, wood fireplaces, etc. They are mostly over-privileged and intensely stupid.

Happily, I don't live in Aspen. I about have a heart attack just looking at the prices the fast food places charge there. And I don't mean from the fat content of the menu items.

The best skiing in the state isn't found in Aspen, either. ;)

Or maybe it is because liberals taste like chicken. (veiled reference to the concentration of liberals in Vail...not necessarily the man himself)

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Aspenites are legendary for their disregard of any inconvenient rules or laws involving wildlife, back country skiing, wood fireplaces, etc. They are mostly over-privileged and intensely stupid.

Happily, I don't live in Aspen. I about have a heart attack just looking at the prices the fast food places charge there. And I don't mean from the fat content of the menu items.

The best skiing in the state isn't found in Aspen, either. ;)
    Sounds like any of the wealthy retired hippies from any of the big cities.
    Vermont has it's Yew York City liberals(Ben and Jerrys, Dizzie Dean,The New Schools John Kerry ).
    Nevada has the influx of Hippie trash from California .Wash state has the old has Been Hollywood crowd .