Thread: Beef Daube

1. #1 Beef Daube 
    Another crappy rainy day in a row! So it was high class beef stew! This was real tasty and tender, I think I would rather try this again with, like Linda said with oxtails, or at least beef short ribs or shanks. The chuck roast meat was a little stringy for my likes. I like more gluten and fat in my stew meat! :D

8 sprigs fresh thyme
    1 orange peeled and cut the peel into strips and juiced
    2 garlic cloves, smashed
    2 bay leaves
    2 tsp black peppercorns
    2 tsp kosher salt
    1 750 ml bottle red zinfandel wine
    3 lb beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 2" cubes
    6 strips bacon, diced
    1/2 cup flour
    4 carrots peeled and cut into 3" pieces
    2 cups boiler onions, peeled ( drop them into boiling water for 1 minute, strain and squeeze off the skin)
    2 fennel bulbs, cored and quartered
    1 Tbsp minced fresh thyme
    1 cup beef stock
    3 roma tomatos, quartered

The day before:
    combine the sprigs of thyme, 1/2 the orange peel, orange juice, garlic, bay leaves, pepper corns, salt and wine into a non-reactive bowl. Add beef to cover and cover and marinate 24 hrs.

Now:
    Remove beef from marinade and pat dry. Season with S&P. Strain marinade, reserving liquid and tossing the rest.

Pre-heat oven to 325

Saute bacon in a dutch oven over med. heat until crisp. Remove to a paper toweled lined plate.
    Dredge beef in flour and brown on all sides in bacon grease on high heat in batches. add oil if needed.
    Set beef aside
    Saute carrots, onion, fennel, remaining orange peel and thyme in the pot, adding oil if needed. saute until browned, about 5 minutes.
    Deglaze the pot with 2 cups of reserved marinade, scraping up the browned bits in the bottom of the pan.

Return beef and bacon to the pot, then add the stock and tomatos.
    Cover the pot and put into oven and cook for 3 hours. Serve over egg noodles.

Marinated and nice and winey!

Saute the veggies

Time to eat!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Another crappy rainy day in a row! So it was high class beef stew! This was real tasty and tender, I think I would rather try this again with, like Linda said with oxtails, or at least beef short ribs or shanks. The chuck roast meat was a little stringy for my likes. I like more gluten and fat in my stew meat! :D

8 sprigs fresh thyme
    1 orange peeled and cut the peel into strips and juiced
    2 garlic cloves, smashed
    2 bay leaves
    2 tsp black peppercorns
    2 tsp kosher salt
    1 750 ml bottle red zinfandel wine
    3 lb beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 2" cubes
    6 strips bacon, diced
    1/2 cup flour
    4 carrots peeled and cut into 3" pieces
    2 cups boiler onions, peeled ( drop them into boiling water for 1 minute, strain and squeeze off the skin)
    2 fennel bulbs, cored and quartered
    1 Tbsp minced fresh thyme
    1 cup beef stock
    3 roma tomatos, quartered

The day before:
    combine the sprigs of thyme, 1/2 the orange peel, orange juice, garlic, bay leaves, pepper corns, salt and wine into a non-reactive bowl. Add beef to cover and cover and marinate 24 hrs.

Now:
    Remove beef from marinade and pat dry. Season with S&P. Strain marinade, reserving liquid and tossing the rest.

Pre-heat oven to 325

Saute bacon in a dutch oven over med. heat until crisp. Remove to a paper toweled lined plate.
    Dredge beef in flour and brown on all sides in bacon grease on high heat in batches. add oil if needed.
    Set beef aside
    Saute carrots, onion, fennel, remaining orange peel and thyme in the pot, adding oil if needed. saute until browned, about 5 minutes.
    Deglaze the pot with 2 cups of reserved marinade, scraping up the browned bits in the bottom of the pan.

Return beef and bacon to the pot, then add the stock and tomatos.
    Cover the pot and put into oven and cook for 3 hours. Serve over egg noodles.

Marinated and nice and winey!

Saute the veggies

Time to eat!

I use basic chuck. basic boneless chuck,under blade roast is a good choice.Also try the The tri-tip roast or steak (also called a triangle roast) is the 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 pounds of meat that sits at the bottom of the sirloin.
    Last edited by megimoo; 09-13-2009 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    I use basic chuck. basic boneless chuck,under blade roast is a good choice.Also try the The tri-tip roast or steak (also called a triangle roast) is the 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 pounds of meat that sits at the bottom of the sirloin.
    Where yah been Mr. Moo?

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Where yah been Mr. Moo?
    Little kids birthdays and visiting my kin !

Would it be ok wthout the fennel bulbs? I usually don't have those around and don't recall seeing them in the local stores.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Would it be ok wthout the fennel bulbs? I usually don't have those around and don't recall seeing them in the local stores.
    I would think so, when sauteed they are more sweet than licorishy! :D You can throw potatos or any stew veggies in there.

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Look for pale green bulbs like swollen celery, with fronds on top that are feathery like dill. They're pretty common.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Look for pale green bulbs like swollen celery, with fronds on top that are feathery like dill. They're pretty common.
    Thanks, I had grown some fennel in my herb garden, but it never got to that size, why the concept of "bulbs" seemed foreign. The various insects destroyed my fennel almost instantly, so never attempted to grow it again.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

gator
    Looks good. It has Gator's approval.