Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Wincing Wednesday 
    This is one of those days where I have a thousand irritating things to do and not enough time to do them. Ick.

TOTD: The state of Utah is going put all of its state offices on 4 10 hours days in August to conserve energy. Higher ed and corrections will be excluded. Do you think this is a good idea? Will it really "save" anything? What would the impact be on families with children (and dog owners)?

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    I was about to start an "Is Ginger Dead?" thread. You know how I worry.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Power CUer
    I suppose it will save cooling and lighting bills. It will also save people a day's worth of gas. I'm telecommuting more these days, and I only live ten miles from my office.

Swam til almost 8:30 last night. yummy

TOTD:The University where I worked has done this for years (during the summer). I liked it because I had a 30 mile commute - now I would REALLY notice the difference. I found I was less productive as those days got long. 7:30-6 with a 30 minute lunch is tiring.
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I suppose it will save cooling and lighting bills. It will also save people a day's worth of gas. I'm telecommuting more these days, and I only live ten miles from my office.
    I don't know that it would save on gas. In my own case, I get a lot of errands done on the way home from work but I know that I wouldn't bother after a 10 hour day - particularly in the winter. So on that extra day off, I'd be driving around playing catch-up.

Hot, hot, hot here in Phoenix. I'm in a bit of a funk today but hope to sweat it out this afternoon at the gym. It's hump day!

TOTD: I don't think the new schedule will make much of a difference in energy savings. The A/C and lights are still going to be on the same amount of time. People will use their "extra day" to run errands, like you said Ginger, so not much gas will be conserved.

Another dreary, muggy summer Florida day. I want SUNLIGHT, dammit!

TOTD: Who cares, friggin' Utah! I just wish our damned Governor, Charlie "I'm not gay I am engaged" Crist who seems to want to spend MORE time outside of his state, would spend more time IN his own state instead of trucking around at McCain's side or touring Europe. Pathetic, really.

But seriously...the 4/10 thing has been tossed around for a while now...would it REALLY make a difference. I am not convinced. Gas wise? One day less going to and from work? Maybe. I mean, unless you drive 50-100 miles round trip, I could see the advantage. Maybe. But I can see more problems with this than the bandaid quick-fix this sees to be (problems being from companies/businesses suffering because of staffing problems, etc)
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    Because I live and work in the middle of friggin' nowhere, I've always had to take into account my staff's travel, including gas costs and snow covered mountain passes. Some prefer the four ten hour days during the summer as they travel over fifty miles one way to work, but because no one wants to be on the passes after dark, winter most everyone reverts to the shorter days/longer week. Unfortunately, telecommuting is not an option for anyone but me, and I live ten miles from work across a flat valley and have four wheel drive..I have no excuses :mad:
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.

Well Harker Heights, Texas just officially went metrosexual with the grand opening of a Bed Bath & Beyond. ;)

Anyone interested in a $100 queen sized sheet set,they got 'em :eek:

Gator I got a $10 off any purchase of $30 or more in the mail. If you are interested :p
    Last edited by Zeus; 08-20-2008 at 06:47 PM.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    This is one of those days where I have a thousand irritating things to do and not enough time to do them. Ick.

TOTD: The state of Utah is going put all of its state offices on 4 10 hours days in August to conserve energy. Higher ed and corrections will be excluded. Do you think this is a good idea? Will it really "save" anything? What would the impact be on families with children (and dog owners)?
    Lots more wind and rain for us today but nothing disastrous. Those poor bastards south and east of us are absolutely swimming the water...I heard a figure like 25+ inches of rain since yesterday. :eek:

TOTD: I think this was a TOTD not that long ago....but I am not a big fan of the 4/10 idea. I don't believe it will save anything, honestly.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature