Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Would you hire a job applicant who was Home-schooled? 
    Talk about your 7th grade drop outs. Pot, meet kettle.

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x6551358

ThomWV (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-15-09 08:24 AM
    Original message
    Would you hire a job applicant who was Home-schooled?
    Years ago in a job I had it was necessary, from time to time, for me to select people to be hired for the company. When there was a position that needed to be filled I'd head down to the Personnel Office where I'd be given current job applications for review. I'd pick the one's I liked and they'd arrange appointments for interviews and so on.

I had that job for about four years and in that time I never saw an application from anyone who indicated they were 'home schooled'. If I had seen that I would have passed it over faster than a 7th grade drop out.

How about you, would you do the same - reject home schooled applicants out of hand without further consideration? There are certainly examples of well educated children who were home schooled and others who are not but overall how do you feel about home schooling?
    Most take the oppisite position from the close minded ThomWV.

I especially like this one!

Pool Hall Ace (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-15-09 08:50 AM
    Response to Original message
    37. Of course! I would hire Ava in a heartbeat.
    My niece only completed up to the 8th grade, but she's very good with networking, and one of the smartest people I know. She is also an athiest, and one of the kindest people I know.
    Thanks to SarasotaRepub for your help! :D

Power CUer
    I wouldn't hire someone who spelled a simple plural with an apostrophe ("one's") as the OP did in that example.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I'd hire a home-schooled person in a minute, because I'd know two things right off the bat about them: 1. They haven't been conditioned to hold society accountable for their success or failure, and 2. They have likely been received a well-rounded education that wasn't skewed by society's newly warped revisionist history.
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

The vast majority of homeschoolers take community college courses in "high school" and they take the SATs and ACTs as well as easily getting their GED. Someone with that background is more than qualified for any McJob.

Beyond that, most of them attend college and most of them actually finish a degree (not true of a lot of college students who have poor high school prep). When I look at somebody's educational background for a real job, I'm pretty uninterested in their career at P.S. 46 when they were 8 years old.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    High school? Doesn't even enter my mind when hiring someone. In fact, I rarely even notice whether someone's high school is on a resume or not. Work experience and college background are far more significant.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Would you hire a job applicant who was Home-schooled?
    Yep! In a New York minute, whatever that means.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

I went to a public school for kindergarten and a private one for first grade. After that, I was home-schooled until my junior year of high school. In said junior year, I entered the invitation-only NC School of Science and Mathematics where I earned a GPA of 5.645. I am now at NC State University double majoring in Mathematics and Computer Science, on track to graduate with both degrees at the age of nineteen. Please, by all means, provide me an argument why home-schooling isn't a good form of education.

Quote Originally Posted by pssvr View Post
    I went to a public school for kindergarten and a private one for first grade. After that, I was home-schooled until my junior year of high school. In said junior year, I entered the invitation-only NC School of Science and Mathematics where I earned a GPA of 5.645. I am now at NC State University double majoring in Mathematics and Computer Science, on track to graduate with both degrees at the age of nineteen. Please, by all means, provide me an argument why home-schooling isn't a good form of education.
    Send me a resume when you graduate.

rm -rf obama*

Because............kids might actually learn something that requires practice, intelligence, and actual facts. We can't have that sort of thing going on, now can we? :D

Welcome!