Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Hey, foreigners! Do any of your countries have a pledge of allegiance to your ... 
    link

raccoon (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-16-08 08:53 AM
    Original message
    Hey, foreigners! Do any of your countries have a pledge of allegiance to your country's flag?

Or something similar to it?

By the way, did Nazi Germany?
    And all the usual comments come out of this.
    babylonsister (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-16-08 08:55 AM
    Response to Original message
    1. Sad. I remember when the pledge of allegiance wasn't a bad thing.
    Or maybe the country we pledged to wasn't.
    MookieWilson (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-16-08 09:05 AM
    Response to Reply #1
    4. It's just not worth...
    getting worked up about. Take "under God" out of it and I have no problem with it whatsoever.

We have bigger problems.
    babylonsister (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-16-08 09:11 AM
    Response to Reply #4
    5. I'm not religious, but 'under God' doesn't bother me as much
    as pledging allegiance to a country that's let me down. And yes, we do have bigger problems, not being proud of my country being one of them.
    marmar (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-16-08 09:14 AM
    Response to Reply #5
    6. Agreed. And it's not a good feeling....
    .... I was at a Tigers game last week, and felt as cold as ice when the national anthem was sung - I almost felt hostile toward it. That's never happened to me before.
    MookieWilson (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-16-08 09:18 AM
    Response to Reply #5
    7. I'm pretty disappointed in my government...
    and all the folks that either voted for Bush in 2004 - when they should have known better - and all the folks who didn't think it important enough to vote in 2004, thus giving him another four years.

Then I look at all the other countries that went along with the Iraq War despite strong public opinion against it - Spain, England, Italy, etc. All got suckered into a war about 'freedom'. Fools. Canada got it right this time.
    MookieWilson (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-16-08 09:04 AM
    Response to Original message
    3. Please, PLEASE stop the Nazi Germany references.
    DiktatrW (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-16-08 09:39 AM
    Response to Reply #3
    10. Definitely, stop that shit now.
    I think the Nazis are getting offended by it.
    KzooDem (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-16-08 09:45 AM
    Response to Reply #3
    11. Why? Personally, I'm terrified of history repeating itself.
    Edited on Wed Jul-16-08 09:46 AM by KzooDem
    My mother LIVED in Nazi Europe, and she and her family fled Hitler's march into France literally a few days before it would have been too late.

She is sickened to see some of the same things happening here that took place in Germany and Europe in the approach to tyranny by the Nazis. Nationalism was the same sick calling card that is now engendered by the Bush administration and the GOP.

It is HIGHLY RELEVANT to make the comparison. No, we aren't throwing people into gas chambers by the train load (yet), but some things are sounding very familiar. History: learn from it or repeat it.

National Anthem Derangement Syndrome? NADS? Heh...

"Do you have NADS?"

"My NADS is acting up again."

"I don't dare go to the game. My NADS is bound to make an appearance."

:D

Edit to clarify:

I'm referring to this:

marmar (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-16-08 09:14 AM
    Response to Reply #5
    6. Agreed. And it's not a good feeling....
    .... I was at a Tigers game last week, and felt as cold as ice when the national anthem was sung - I almost felt hostile toward it. That's never happened to me before.
    Last edited by jinxmchue; 07-16-2008 at 11:05 AM.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

Power CUer
    I haven't even been anywhere where people said our pledge of allegiance since I was in junior high school. Are there public functions at which adults are expected to say it? What are they?

Sonnabend
    raccoon (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-16-08 08:53 AM
    Original message
    Hey, foreigners! Do any of your countries have a pledge of allegiance to your country's flag?

Or something similar to it?
    Hey foreigner..yes, we do..and we, as citizens, have no one like you in our midst.

People like you are usually given a map to the local airport and a whip-round to get you the airfare so that you can leave.

With our blessings.

The Australian flag is one we are very proud of, and it and its people have stood for freedom and hope for a long time, and there isn't an Aussie anywhere in the world, regardless of who is in government, who is not proud to declare they are Australian.

Anyone who says they arent..wishes they had kept their damned mouths shut.

Then I look at all the other countries that went along with the Iraq War despite strong public opinion against it - Spain, England, Italy, etc. All got suckered into a war about 'freedom'. Fools. Canada got it right this time.
    We were in Iraq for years and we are proud of what we did there. We kicked ass and took names. We are now headed to the 'stan, and intend to send the Taliban to Hell..again, with our blessings.

She is sickened to see some of the same things happening here that took place in Germany and Europe in the approach to tyranny by the Nazis. Nationalism was the same sick calling card that is now engendered by the Bush administration and the GOP.
    Oh? Checklist please.

Nuremberg Laws? No.
    Yellow Stars? No.
    Racial laws? No.
    Enforced national service? No.
    Rigged elections with one party? No...but thats what you'd like..you've said so often enough. DU doesnt like dissent.
    Brownshirts in the streets? Riots in the streets? No.

Funny...only fascist I see anywhere nearby...is you.

Power CUer
    How does your pledge go, Sonna?

Quote Originally Posted by jinxmchue View Post
    National Anthem Derangement Syndrome? NADS? Heh...

"Do you have NADS?"

"My NADS is acting up again."

"I don't dare go to the game. My NADS is bound to make an appearance."
    Bwahahahahahaha! :D
    “When the doctor is out, I’m in.”

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I haven't even been anywhere where people said our pledge of allegiance since I was in junior high school. Are there public functions at which adults are expected to say it? What are they?
    Okay, so nobody else knows the answer to this, either.

Sorry, I got involved in something else. I admit I am in an unusual area but it is said frequently around here.
    My daughter's graduation, any sports events, a political dinner I was at last month, our town council meeting, the July 4th picnic, I hear it constantly. Of course, there were also prayers said at all of these!
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    My daughter's graduation, any sports events, a political dinner I was at last month, our town council meeting, the July 4th picnic, I hear it constantly. Of course, there were also prayers said at all of these!
    Okay, thanks. I haven't heard it at our county board meetings, I don't have anyone graduating (although that would still count as a school setting), and I have no interest in attending any kind of sporting event. So if it ever happens around adults, it's in places I haven't had a reason to go.

Sonnabend
    From this time forward, under God,I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people,whose democratic beliefs I share,whose rights and liberties I respect, and whose laws I will uphold and obey.