Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Sonnabend
    Since you insist on taking the question at its literal value, let me rephrase it. You actually don't make your living in a field wherein linquistic skills and analytic reasoning are important, do you?
    ..says the man with the Leisure Suit Larry avatar :).
    Last edited by Sonnabend; 07-19-2008 at 05:51 AM.

Patent Member
    I was having a bad day and being an ass for no reason whatsoever. Of course, taking the argument personally was dumb on each of our parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    And I will defer to you on the subjects of hicks, simplistic platitudes, and shallow reasoning, so please try to refrain from assertions outside of your specialities.
    You do realize that most of us live outside the liberal hellholes of the Northeast, right? Calling us "hicks" doesn't really affect us very much. Besides, doesn't the socially liberal conclave of greatness that is New York City have one of the worst public school systems in the country, while us "socially backwards" hicks in flyover country generally have the best public schools? Also, it's "specialties."

I don't see why you continue to be offended by references regarding your proclivity towards loose women who have no moral qualms about trading money for their dignity. Is it offensive because you think that your affection for your girlfriend is based on the same lack of morality? Or in fewer words, are you upset because you're dating a whore?

Since you insist on taking the question at its literal value, let me rephrase it. You actually don't make your living in a field wherein linquistic skills and analytic reasoning are important, do you?
    That would be "linguistic." Also, yes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    I was having a bad day and being an ass for no reason whatsoever. Of course, taking the argument personally was dumb on each of our parts.
    I would suggest taking a mydol on days like that. On each of our parts?

Quote Originally Posted by biccat
    Try to get your facts right.
    In response to a perfectly valid and equally innocuous statement, this kind of statement does not reflect the attitude of each of us.

You do realize that most of us live outside the liberal hellholes of the Northeast, right? Calling us "hicks" doesn't really affect us very much. Besides, doesn't the socially liberal conclave of greatness that is New York City have one of the worst public school systems in the country, while us "socially backwards" hicks in flyover country generally have the best public schools?
    I really don't care about the public school systems as that's not a measure of the quality of living that really affects me. If I ever decide to have children (God forbid), I certainly wouldn't send them to public schools in any case.

Also, it's "specialties."
    Really?

Main Entry: spe∑ci∑al∑i∑ty
    Pronunciation: \ˌspe-shē-ˈa-lə-tē\
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural spe∑ci∑al∑i∑ties
    Date: 15th century
    1: a special mark or quality
    2: a special object or class of objects
    3 a: a special aptitude or skill b: specialty
    I don't see why you continue to be offended by references regarding your proclivity towards loose women who have no moral qualms about trading money for their dignity. Is it offensive because you think that your affection for your girlfriend is based on the same lack of morality?
    Oh noes!!! Evil loose city women.

It's not that I'm particularly offended as I actually enjoy discussing this particular hobby. However, it does make other members of the board uncomfortable so, therefore, unless it has direct bearing upon the subject matter, as with the Spitzer threads, I prefer to avoid it.

Or in fewer words, are you upset because you're dating a whore?
    I think it's generally against the rules of this board to attack members of a poster's family (including I suppose girlfriends) when they themselves are not members of the board. I, therefore, won't dignify this with a response other than noting my girlfriend holds both a MD as well as a DDS, already makes more than you do at the end of her first year out of school, and will in another 4-5 years be pulling in around .5M per year.

That would be "linguistic." Also, yes.
    Yes, indeed it is linguistic. However, it's amazing that you can make a living doing such.

BSR
    noting my girlfriend holds both a MD as well as a DDS
    So your girlfriend went to 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, 2 years of residence at a hospital to turn around take a pay cut, and become a dentist ??? Instead of saving lives as a MD, she is fixing cavities as a DDS.

I think we found the CU version of TIT...
    Last edited by BSR; 07-19-2008 at 12:13 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas View Post
    So your girlfriend went to 4 years of college, 8 years of medical school, 2 years of residence at a hospital to turn around a become a dentist ???

I think we found the CU version of TIT...
    It's sad you're as ignorant as you are. First, doctors in this country don't go to "4 years of college and 8 years of medical school." Rather, they go to 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school and, for the more general specialties, 4 years of residency. They are a MD when they graduate from medical school.

However, she's not from this country. In hers, you go to 6 years of college/medical school (effectively eliminating the first 2 years of the general education we get in college here), becoming a MD, and then residency. When I met her she was completing her first year of residency.

When we moved here, she could have gone directly into residency. She looked at the state of American medicine, with the more general practicioners making around $150k-$200k and decided to go into dentistry, a much more lucrative field right now and one that will be less affected by socialized medicine. Columbia had a program for foreign MDs that enabled her to only go 1/2 time during the first 3 semesters. That's why we lived in NYC for four years, btw.

I understand you've probably never been outside of the country and think that all the world does things like we do, but they don't.

He is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature.
    -George Bernard Shaw

BSR
    It's sad you're as ignorant as you are. First, doctors in this country don't go to "4 years of college and 8 years of medical school." Rather, they go to 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school and, for the more general specialties, 4 years of residency. They are a MD when they graduate from medical school.

However, she's not from this country. In hers, you go to 6 years of college/medical school (effectively eliminating the first 2 years of the general education we get in college here), becoming a MD, and then residency. When I met her she was completing her first year of residency.

When we moved here, she could have gone directly into residency. She looked at the state of American medicine, with the more general practicioners making around $150k-$200k and decided to go into dentistry, a much more lucrative field right now and one that will be less affected by socialized medicine. Columbia had a program for foreign MDs that enabled her to only go 1/2 time during the first 3 semesters. That's why we lived in NYC for four years, btw.

I understand you've probably never been outside of the country and think that all the world does things like we do, but they don't.

Sure thing TIT.. All your stories are bullshit..

on edit: I'm not going to argue with you. Its pointless. You can be any persona you want on the internet. A flamboyant jet setting "consultant" with a doctor/dentist/race car driving girlfriend. Or a average guy from Kentucky who works in a plant making oil filters.You cant prove any of it, and I don't believe any of it. Its sad how much you desire the need to be admired from a group of people you will never meet. In the past, you and I would go blow for blow in the dome till I got banned for taking things to far in our 'Who's got a bigger dick" contest. But today I'll keep my dick in my pants. I dont care enough to play this game with you or anyone anymore..
    Last edited by BSR; 07-19-2008 at 12:37 PM.

CWinCT

Patent Member
    and will in another 4-5 years be pulling in around .5M per year.
    Oh woe is me. She will be making $500,000 a year in 4-5 years. At that point maybe she will be able to afford a 2 bedroom apartment in the wonderful utopia of New York City.

Of course, my wife and I are about to buy a 2000+ square foot house on a third of an acre, despite the fact that apparently I don't make jack.