Thread: Michelle's Absurd Farmers' Market.

1. #1 Michelle's Absurd Farmers' Market. 
    Hi-Ho, the Derry-O

By Dana Milbank
    Friday, September 18, 2009

Let's say you're preparing dinner and you realize with dismay that you don't have any certified organic Tuscan kale. What to do?

Here's how Michelle Obama handled this very predicament Thursday afternoon:

The Secret Service and the D.C. police brought in three dozen vehicles and shut down H Street, Vermont Avenue, two lanes of I Street and an entrance to the McPherson Square Metro station. They swept the area, in front of the Department of Veterans Affairs, with bomb-sniffing dogs and installed magnetometers in the middle of the street, put up barricades to keep pedestrians out, and took positions with binoculars atop trucks. Though the produce stand was only a block or so from the White House, the first lady hopped into her armored limousine and pulled into the market amid the wail of sirens.

Then, and only then, could Obama purchase her leafy greens. "Now it's time to buy some food," she told several hundred people who came to watch. "Let's shop!"

Cowbells were rung. Somebody put a lei of marigolds around Obama's neck. The first lady picked up a straw basket and headed for the "Farm at Sunnyside" tent, where she loaded up with organic Asian pears, cherry tomatoes, multicolored potatoes, free-range eggs and, yes, two bunches of Tuscan kale. She left the produce with an aide, who paid the cashier as Obama made her way back to the limousine.

There's nothing like the simple pleasures of a farm stand to return us to our agrarian roots.

The first lady had encouraged Freshfarm Markets, the group that runs popular farmers markets in Dupont Circle and elsewhere, to set up near the White House, and she helped get the approvals to shut down Vermont Avenue during rush hour on Thursdays. But the result was quite the opposite of a quaint farmers market. Considering all the logistics, each tomato she purchased had a carbon footprint of several tons.

The promotion of organic and locally grown food, though an admirable cause, is a risky one for the Obamas, because there's a fine line between promoting healthful eating and sounding like a snob. The president, when he was a candidate in 2007, got in trouble in Iowa when he asked a crowd, "Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula?" Iowans didn't have a Whole Foods.

For that reason, it's probably just as well that the first lady didn't stop by the Endless Summer Harvest tent yesterday. The Virginia farm had a sign offering "tender baby arugula" -- hydroponically grown, pesticide free -- and $5 for four ounces, which is $20 a pound.

Obama, in her brief speech to the vendors and patrons, handled the affordability issue by pointing out that people who pay with food stamps would get double the coupon value at the market. Even then, though, it's hard to imagine somebody using food stamps to buy what the market offered: $19 bison steak from Gunpowder Bison, organic dandelion greens for $12 per pound from Blueberry Hill Vegetables, the Piedmont Reserve cheese from Everson Dairy at $29 a pound. Rounding out the potential shopping cart: $4 for a piece of "walnut dacquoise" from the Praline Bakery, $9 for a jumbo crab cake at Chris's Marketplace, $8 for a loaf of cranberry-walnut bread and $32 for a bolt of yarn.

The first lady said the market would particularly appeal to federal employees in nearby buildings to "pick up some good stuff for dinner." Yet even they might think twice about spending $3 for a pint of potatoes when potatoes are on sale for 40 cents a pound at Giant. They could get nearly five dozen eggs at Giant for the $5 Obama spent for her dozen.
    I like organic veggies as much as the next person, maybe more since I grow a lot of them. I'm also willing to buy stuff at fancy-pants health food stores (I can afford it) and I'm not adverse to dropping some coin on buffalo jerky at a farmers' market. I'm for all that stuff. I'm for it because I have the interest, space, time, and money to spend on what is essentially a food hobby.

For Obama to push this idea on to working class or poor people is absurd. If you have $20.00 to spend on food you would be wildly irresponsible to blow $16.00 on imported fruit. Eggs are a wonderful source of cheap protein but not free-range, organic eggs from Heirloom chickens (I should know, that's what I buy).

She'd be doing a lot more good teaching kids how to make (and eat) ordinary green salads with plain old iceberg lettuce and no-name tomatoes. Imagine if she made an effort to teach illiterate 17 year olds with little kids how to make a pot of veggie soup instead of living off of KFC? That's what she should be doing - not giving free advertising to the upscale food industry.

WaPo

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I like organic veggies as much as the next person, maybe more since I grow a lot of them. I'm also willing to buy stuff at fancy-pants health food stores (I can afford it) and I'm not adverse to dropping some coin on buffalo jerky at a farmers' market. I'm for all that stuff. I'm for it because I have the interest, space, time, and money to spend on what is essentially a food hobby.

For Obama to push this idea on to working class or poor people is absurd. If you have $20.00 to spend on food you would be wildly irresponsible to blow $16.00 on imported fruit. Eggs are a wonderful source of cheap protein but not free-range, organic eggs from Heirloom chickens (I should know, that's what I buy).

She'd be doing a lot more good teaching kids how to make (and eat) ordinary green salads with plain old iceberg lettuce and no-name tomatoes. Imagine if she made an effort to teach illiterate 17 year olds with little kids how to make a pot of veggie soup instead of living off of KFC? That's what she should be doing - not giving free advertising to the upscale food industry.

WaPo
    Ok now I'm totally confused I was reading this as reply in a different thread. I've lost my mind!

Power CUer
    My husband and I were laughing over this piece in the paper this morning. He used to be in print journalism, and describes its ideal mission as "comforting the afflicted, and afflicting the comfortable." The Post is starting to afflict the comfortable, here. :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    My husband and I were laughing over this piece in the paper this morning. He used to be in print journalism, and describes its ideal mission as "comforting the afflicted, and afflicting the comfortable." The Post is starting to afflict the comfortable, here. :p
    Let's hope they keep it up for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I l

I am so behind you on this!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    She left the produce with an aide, who paid the cashier as Obama made her way back to the limousine.

Ahhhh...no doubt the "Lackey Czar." :D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Why didn't the bitch get it out of her White House garden?

That's right, that part of land was contaminated by the Clintoon's.

Everything about this Administration is planned, well in advance. And the MSM is just falling all over themselves for these losers. :mad: