1. #1 Cornrow Cop Clipped. 
    Cop with cornrows pulled from street duty
    By DANA DiFILIPPO
    Philadelphia Daily News

difilid@phillynews.com 215-854-5934

To get booted off the street, a police officer has to do something pretty serious - like shoot a suspect or be accused of brutality.

But in the 35th District, which covers Logan, Olney and adjacent neighborhoods, apparently a hairdo will do it.

A cop who got cornrows was ordered off the street and kept on desk duty for two days until he cut his braids off, sources said.

While dozens of black officers across the city wear cornrows, Officer Thomas Strain is white. So when the five-year veteran showed up for work Sept. 3 with the traditionally black hairstyle, it didn't take long for his colleagues - or his bosses - to notice.

"They pulled him out of roll call and took him right up to the inspector's office," said an officer who asked to remain anonymous.

Reached last week, Strain declined to comment about the hair hubbub.

But multiple officers in the 35th say it's been hot gossip, overshadowed only by worries of potential police layoffs, which were averted Thursday when the state agreed to help alleviate the city's budget woes.

"It's absolutely discriminatory," said one officer. Strain's cornrows 'do "was neat. It was above his collar. It's not like he shaved a Nazi sign or something anti-black or anti-Hispanic on his head. It's just cornrows. I don't know what the problem is."

The problem, police spokesman Lt. Frank Vanore said, is that Strain's superior didn't feel his cornrows were "professional."
    Now hairstyles are racist? Or race-privileged? Does that mean that Asians can't curl their hair and that blacks can't straighten theirs? :eek:

Philly

rotfl! typical.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

So much for Axl Rose getting a job as a cop, eh? Is the ACLU going to jump on this case of blatant racial discrimination? Survey says.......yeah right.
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!

This is a case of reverse racism. Black oficers are allowed to wear cornrows but white officers cannot? I don't work for the Philly PD but I'm sure their SOP's and uniform policy is pretty close to mine and they are pretty down the middle. I'm surprised there hasn't been a comment from his union.
    Last edited by NJCardFan; 09-21-2009 at 10:23 PM.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.