Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 How about a *real* tea party protest? 
    During the Bush years, I often found it interesting to hear hardcore leftists condemn and protest companies like McDonalds and Wal-Mart one minute and be their customers the next.

So instead of just protesting, why not have a national boycott of some of the most taxed items? I'm thinking of tobacco, alcohol, and I think soda and candy. If we could have a major boycott of these items, it would really hurt the government's plans. I realize that I'm asking for what some might view as impossible being hooked on tobacco and all. I just thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    During the Bush years, I often found it interesting to hear hardcore leftists condemn and protest companies like McDonalds and Wal-Mart one minute and be their customers the next.

So instead of just protesting, why not have a national boycott of some of the most taxed items? I'm thinking of tobacco, alcohol, and I think soda and candy. If we could have a major boycott of these items, it would really hurt the government's plans. I realize that I'm asking for what some might view as impossible being hooked on tobacco and all. I just thought I'd throw the idea out there.
    Good and bad! By doing that you are really letting them control you.

Don't boycott the items - boycott paying the taxes. There are plenty of sources - legal and not so legal for getting cigarettes for example tax free. Indian reservations being an example. I don't think it should be changing what we consume as much as changing how we consume :)
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

An Adversary of Linda #'s

I like my plan better.Lets lynch a few of his Czars on the mall and see how that moves em !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    I like my plan better.Lets lynch a few of his Czars on the mall and see how that moves em !
    We could learn from Vlad! Put them on sharpened stakes!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    We could learn from Vlad! Put them on sharpened stakes!
    As long as we don't do that to Barney Frank. I'm sure he'd enjoy it.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Lanie, I think you have a good point. It would take away their source of revenue. But it would be letting them control us. Their whole agenda is to achieve just that---consume less alcohol, cigarettes, soda, etc. They're the control freaks. And just like Rahm Emmanuel says, "Don't waste a good crisis". They won't waste an opportunity to tax, tax, tax.

I don't smoke or drink alcohol (other than a little wine once in a while), so those taxes won't get me. But they'll get SR. :D (and me indirectly).

The government controlling everything is more than disturbing. I wonder how far they'll go in their power grab.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

In Illinois candy & soda was considered food. Food & drug had only a 1% sales tax for many years.

There is now a candy, soda & shampoo tax! Taxes on candy went up 600%. Taxes on wine went up 90%. These taxes are even higher in Chicago, making the tax increase on candy almost 1000%

http://www.examiner.com/x-21037-Illi...dy-and-Shampoo

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    In Illinois candy & soda was considered food. Food & drug had only a 1% sales tax for many years.

There is now a candy, soda & shampoo tax! Taxes on candy went up 600%. Taxes on wine went up 90%. These taxes are even higher in Chicago, making the tax increase on candy almost 1000%

It's turning into a different world and there is nowhere to go thats much better so I guess we are stuck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post

Wow! At those rates it sure puts a damper on washing your hair with a Hersey Bar.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand