Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Lets see I'll add him to my list of America's enemies .Burgess,Mederith,Mc Clean,Jonathan Pollard,The Rosenbergs,J and E.,Pelosi,Reid,Kennedy. and forgive him !
    I assume "McClean" means McCain, but who are "Burgess" and "Mederith"?

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap1 View Post
    I wish him well. This may not be a "cure" for him but he might get a few higher quality months out of it. I think it's cool that he was awake for the surgery. :D
    That's so they don't remove part of his brain that controls speech or sight.Somone mentioned that the cancerous brain tissue removed has the consistancy of 'soft serve' ice cream and it is very difficult telling what to take out.They need him awake to tell if they are in a dangerous area of tissue removal by talking to him as they remove what they can of the Cancer .At any rate he hasn't long on this earth ! He is after all a human being so when his time comes R.I.P Ted Kennedy !

As much as I detest the person that leads my country, presently, I would never use the kind of vile assertions against him (when he was ill) that have been hammered out on various keyboards and eventually landing in this forum.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I assume "McClean" means McCain, but who are "Burgess" and "Mederith"?
    Read some cold war history or google them.But in the interest helping you out Here you go .BTW my memory was false in one regard.Meredith Gardner wasn't a an anti-American spy,sorry next thing I'll be drooling on myself !

PHILBY, BURGESS, MACLEAN SPY CASE FBI FILES
    In 1951, Allied counterintelligence began to suspect Maclean was a mole. Philby got wind of this and warned Maclean, through Burgess. Both Burgess and Maclean immediately fled to Moscow. Philby had saved his friends, but his close association with them brought suspicion upon himself.

Meredith Gardner

Cryptanalyst who broke the Soviet Venona code,For the entirety of his professional life, he was unknown to all but a handful of Americans and Britons (and sadly Soviets) at the heart of their respective intelligence establishments. But Meredith Gardner was in large part responsible for one of the greatest US successes of the Cold War.

Harold Adrian Russell Philby: Philby was also known as Kim, after the character in Kipling's jungle story Kim. He had been described as ingratiatingly smooth. In fact, like a chameleon he could be whatever the occasion demanded. The most intelligent of the four, Philby possessed incredible instinct as a spy. In his autobiography he had said that he was recruited by the NKVD (later KGB), and in turn he recruited Burgess and Maclean. Of course, the difficulty with Philby is that he cannot always be believed, and some have raised doubts about his recruitment and his recruiting. However, all four of them certainly knew each other well at Cambridge.

Philby's father, St. John Philby was at some point of his life a British spy, and diplomat. He had been critical of the British government, and extremely eccentric in nature. Kim saw very little of his father during his youth, but greatly admired him. A hyperactive heterosexual, Philby married four times, with several mistresses between each marriage. Both of his second and third wife were seduced by Philby while married to others, and left their husbands to marry Philby. After about a 23 year career, Philby defected to Russia in 1963. Since then, he continued to work for the KGB, as an instructor of agents almost till his death in 1988.

pages of files copied from FBI Headquarters in Washington, D.C., and archived on CD-ROM covering the Philby, Burgess and MacLean Cambridge University spy ring. Guy Burgess and Donald MacLean were British diplomats who disappeared in 1951 and surfaced in Moscow in 1956. There was speculation that Harold "Kim" Philby, head of the Soviet section of the British Secret Intelligence Service, was the "third man" who alerted them before they could be arrested for espionage.
    Last edited by megimoo; 06-03-2008 at 10:38 AM.

Power CUer
    Thanks. I've heard of Philby, but not really the others.