1. #1 Dole fails to name AIDS bill for Helms 
    Late senator was a nemesis of gays

Lisa Zagaroli, McClatchy Newspapers

Published: Jul 17, 2008 12:30 AM
    Modified: Jul 17, 2008 05:02 AM

WASHINGTON - Former Sen. Jesse Helms might have had a personal evolution on AIDS policy, but the journey wasn't enough to stop protests when his successor tried to name a global AIDS relief bill after him.

Sen. Elizabeth Dole, a Salisbury Republican, introduced an amendment to add Helms, who died July 4, to the title of a $50 billion bill considered Wednesday in the Senate. Her measure never came up for a vote.

Helms, a deeply conservative Republican from Raleigh, was the frequent nemesis of gay activists. "There is not one single case of AIDS in this country that cannot be traced in origin to sodomy," he once said.

He changed his view on foreign relief programs late in his Senate career and teamed with Irish rock star Bono to help populations suffering from the disease overseas. "Senator Helms played a critical role in moving the U.S. into a position where it's devoting substantial resources to provide aid to those in need in Africa," Dole's spokesman Wes Climer said.

But the legislation was already named after two lawmakers who fought the spread of AIDS, former Reps. Henry Hyde, R-Ill., and Tom Lantos, D-Calif.

A spokesman for the Global AIDS Alliance said Dole's attempt to honor Helms was inappropriate. "There are aspects of his legacy that are very negative when it comes to HIV prevention," David Bryden said. "It is true that Helms toward the very end of his career started to show more compassion, particularly toward mothers and children affected by this disease. But we're still dealing with a legacy of Senator Helms when it comes to the HIV epidemic amongst injecting drug users."

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1144220.html
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Jesse Helms, the man who in 1988 vigorously opposed the Kennedy-Hatch AIDS research bill, saying,

"There is not one single case of AIDS in this country that cannot be traced in origin to sodomy."

At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

noonwitch
    Elizabeth Dole was doing this to be funny, right? Because if so, I definitely like her (she's a republican I've always liked, anyways).

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Jesse Helms, the man who in 1988 vigorously opposed the Kennedy-Hatch AIDS research bill, saying,

"There is not one single case of AIDS in this country that cannot be traced in origin to sodomy."

I think that Jesse would be spinning in his grave to know that his name was attached to that bill.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Jesse Helms To Tackle AIDS
    Says He Regrets Not Getting Into Fight Against AIDS Earlier
    (AP) Sen. Jesse Helms said Wednesday he was ashamed he had not done more to fight the worldwide AIDS epidemic and promised to keep it on his agenda until he leaves office next year.

"I have been too lax too long in doing something really significant about AIDS," Helms told hundreds of Christian AIDS activists gathered for a conference in Washington. "I'm not going to lay it aside on my agenda for the remaining months I have" in office.

"I'm so ashamed that I've done so little," Helms said

U2 singer, Jesse Helms discuss AIDS

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U2 lead singer and activist Bono called Republican Sen. Jesse Helms of North Carolina a "brave and bold man" for inviting him to lunch Wednesday to discuss the African AIDS crisis.

"It's an extraordinary thing, I will admit, to have Jesse Helms to throw a lunch for you," said Bono. "You know it's bad for both of our images."
    I guess people really do change.

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    I guess people really do change.
    Well yes, yes they do - out in front of the cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Well yes, yes they do - out in front of the cameras.
    Kind of like Zero does, hunh?