1. #1 The Lost Symbol and The Da Vinci Code author Dan Brown's 20 worst sentences 
    If Dan Brown’s new novel The Lost Symbol is anything like his previous works, it will not go down well with the critics. Famously, comedian Stewart Lee mocked him for using the sentence “The famous man looked at the red cup” in his bestselling The Da Vinci Code. In fact, Lee was making that up – the sentence never appears in the book. So are the critics unfair on Brown?

They’re certainly harsh. Edinburgh professor of linguistics Geoffrey Pullum says “Brown's writing is not just bad; it is staggeringly, clumsily, thoughtlessly, almost ingeniously bad.” He picks out some excerpts for special criticism. The female lead in Angels and Demons learns of the death of her scientist father: “Genius, she thought. My father . . . Dad. Dead.” A member of the Vatican Guard in the same book becomes annoyed by something, and we learn that "his eyes went white, like a shark about to attack."

Below we have selected 20 phrases that may grate on the ear. It’s not a definitive list. It couldn’t be: he has published five novels, each around 500 pages long, and the arguments over which are the worst bits will go on for a while. But it’s our list. Add your own in the comment box below.

20. Angels and Demons, chapter 1: Although not overly handsome in a classical sense, the forty-year-old Langdon had what his female colleagues referred to as an ‘erudite’ appeal — wisp of gray in his thick brown hair, probing blue eyes, an arrestingly deep voice, and the strong, carefree smile of a collegiate athlete.

They say the first rule of fiction is “show, don’t tell”. This fails that rule. ...
    It was a dark and stormy night ...

Power CUer
    I tried to read the "DaVinci Code". I gave up. I decided that one thing a "thriller" should not be is colossally boring.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I tried to read the "DaVinci Code".
    It never even occurred to me to try.

Dan Brown is shrugging and laughing at Geoffrey Pullum all the way to the bank!! He has sold mega millions of books, boring or not!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    It never even occurred to me to try.
    I wouldn't have done it voluntarily, but my Book Club assigned it. We've since sworn off trashy novels. At least, they've never been as bad as that since.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

The only book by him that I read was Angels and Demons which I found intriguing.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I wouldn't have done it voluntarily, but my Book Club assigned it. We've since sworn off trashy novels. At least, they've never been as bad as that since.
    There is something not quite right about the grammar here. I cant put my fanger on it!

I've read most of his stuff. I can sum up every book he's ever written in a few sentences. Protagonist gets a phone call late at night sumonning him/her to some exotic local to deal with some crime. Less than 24 hours later and much running around. the crime is solved and the last person you would expect is the mastermind behind the whole thing and he would have gotten away with it too if it were for that darn meddling hero. (Scooby-Doo ending)

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis