1. #1 Obama scraps visit to wounded troops 
    Obama scraps visit to wounded troops
    Jul 24 04:09 PM US/Eastern

BERLIN (AP) - Sen. Barack Obama scrapped plans to visit wounded members of the armed forces in Germany as part of his overseas trip, a decision his spokesman said was made because the Democratic presidential candidate thought it would be inappropriate on a campaign-funded journey.

The spokesman, Robert Gibbs, said Thursday that Obama made his decision out of respect for the servicemen and women, but Sen. John McCain's presidential campaign immediately criticized the move.

"Barack Obama is wrong. It is never inappropriate to visit our men and women in the military," said Brian Rogers, a spokesman for the Republican contender.

Obama's decision raised a number of questions because the visit, which had been scheduled for Friday, never appeared on the schedule of events distributed to reporters who are accompanying him on his travels.

Obama had been planning to go to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany before a flight to Paris. Gibbs said the stop was canceled because Obama decided "it would be inappropriate to make a stop to visit troops at a U.S. military facility as part of a trip funded by the campaign."

http://www.cnsnews.com/public/conten...x?RsrcID=32993
    Last edited by bijou; 07-24-2008 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Added a link
    Shakespeare.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare View Post
    Obama scraps visit to wounded troops
    Jul 24 04:09 PM US/Eastern
    Obama had been planning to go to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany before a flight to Paris. Gibbs said the stop was canceled because Obama decided "it would be inappropriate to make a stop to visit troops at a U.S. military facility as part of a trip funded by the campaign."
    http://www.cnsnews.com/public/conten...x?RsrcID=32993
    Wait a minute... He's campaigning in Germany, Afghanistan and Iraq, but won't visit American military personnel on US military facilities? Who does he think is going to be voting in the US presidential election? Who is he campaigning to?

If McCain had said something that stupid, they'd have crucified him in the media.

--Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Wait a minute... He's campaigning in Germany, Afghanistan and Iraq, but won't visit American military personnel on US military facilities? Who does he think is going to be voting in the US presidential election? Who is he campaigning to?

If McCain had said something that stupid, they'd have crucified him in the media.

It is a disgrace...however, if I were wounded I would pass on the photo op. He did the troops a favor by staying away.
    That is a classic cartoon.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    It is a disgrace...however, if I were wounded I would pass on the photo op. He did the troops a favor by staying away.
    That is a classic cartoon.
    Glad you liked it.
    It's not always possible to pass on the photo ops. When Hillary did her trip to Iraq, commanders were ordered to have their troops show up so that she wouldn't be speaking to an empty room. The troops responded with some creative stunts, my favorite being the Soldier who shook her hand but showed the other with his fingers crossed.
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

That toon made my day. Nothing can bring me down now!:D

Side note, Barry didn't come visit us here on his Iraq trip either. Most likely statyed around Baghdad with a small, extremely brief trip into Anbar for a photo op. Either way I don't know any Marines here in Western Iraq who saw him. Funny, since I remember "teh EVIL" President Bush coming out here....

Also, does anyone know if Barry even met with General Petraeus when he was here?
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    That toon made my day. Nothing can bring me down now!:D

Side note, Barry didn't come visit us here on his Iraq trip either. Most likely statyed around Baghdad with a small, extremely brief trip into Anbar for a photo op. Either way I don't know any Marines here in Western Iraq who saw him. Funny, since I remember "teh EVIL" President Bush coming out here....

Also, does anyone know if Barry even met with General Petraeus when he was here?
    Probably not. Wouldn't have been "apropriate."
    --Odysseus

U.S. presidential candidate Barack Obama discussed with the top U.S. commander in Iraq, David Petraeus, the future of U.S. military presence in the country, a U.S. army media adviser said on Tuesday.

"Yesterday, Obama met with Petraeus in Baghdad and discussed the future of U.S. troop presence in Iraq,"
    Obama, Petraeus take chopper tour:

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/ob...our/1512471483

The Prophet has no idea how to respond to people that don't follow his message. He can't read off of cue cards in front of the soldiers and he knew he'd have to face them in one on one situations. Nothing good could have came from him visiting those troops. Hence, he didn't go.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

He visited at Walter Reed recently with no media.

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    But... but... I thought he said that it would be inappropriate on a campaign-funded journey... Did his campaign reimburse the government for the cost of the helicopter tour? JP4 isn't cheap.
    --Odysseus