Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Point of Order:

Please never refer to the next President of the United States as "Mac". His call sign was "McNasty" and thatís what he goes by. Thank you for your time and attention.

At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

A good friend. soldier won a high leverl award in Iraq. He was one of those "let's kick some ass" soldiers with at "take no prisoner's attitude". His observation a year later was that by driving people off the roads into ditches, as is the procedure, he concluded, "if someone occupying my country drove me off the road into a ditch here, I'd probably go join an insurgency too..they don't want democracy....they just want to shit and piss in the street and live their f'ed up Haji way of life".
    Someone said here recently and best....
    I don't disagree. I sldo don't appreciate being patronized. I have not been a cheerleader for or against the war. I am a soldier and I follow orders. While we are there and being shot at, I don't give a Rat's Red you know what as to why, I return fire. I don't aim for the leg either.

If we send our troops into harm's way to do our bidding, we do it with the idea of kicking the grease totally out of the enemy. There is always unforseen consequences and collateral damage/deaths. As terrible and unfortunate as that is, it should never be used as an excuse to go to war without winning it decisively. Troops are there. let them do their job, not powder Iraqi behinds.

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    I don't disagree. I sldo don't appreciate being patronized. I have not been a cheerleader for or against the war. I am a soldier and I follow orders. While we are there and being shot at, I don't give a Rat's Red you know what as to why, I return fire. I don't aim for the leg either.

If we send our troops into harm's way to do our bidding, we do it with the idea of kicking the grease totally out of the enemy. There is always unforseen consequences and collateral damage/deaths. As terrible and unfortunate as that is, it should never be used as an excuse to go to war without winning it decisively. Troops are there. let them do their job, not powder Iraqi behinds.
    Spoken like a true Soldier, I salute you my friend. We don't ask to be over here for the most part, it's just part of the job and we follow orders to a T. What boils my blood is when civilians back home have the audacity and arrogance to accuse our guys of murder, ala Jack Murtha. It's easy to pick apart a split second, life or death battlefield decision when they're sitting thousands of miles away comfortably on their big fat @$$.

Another thing is the incredibly inflated Iraqi civilian casualties numbers. I've heard dimb-bulb lefties try to claim we killed over half a million Iraqi innocent civilians. Funny, since the WHO speculates less then 20% of that bogus number. It's war, bad things happen and it's a terrible price to pay. But the idiots who think we need a "more humane war" are the reason OBL is still alive, Al Qaeda isn't totally destoyed and the war is still on. If we had the monkey off our back and could fight this thing like the great General George Patton would, this war would've been over years ago. Quote me on that.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

John
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    You can pretty much bet that if the government had never gotten involved with regulating the airline industry 40 years ago, there would have been common sense procedures like..pilot's with guns way back when terrorism on planes became the norm in the 70's.
    Uh, yeah. Precisely. I'm not an airline pilot, but I still want to make sure I can get home to my wife and kids everyday I leave for work. This shouldn't be a trivial game. This desire should be birthright. the simplest, most inexpensive solution would be to allow people like you and me to carry on flights. Unfortunately, the stupidness of the the liberal:right won't let that happen. Admitting that the government was wrong to interfere in the free market of aviation is beyond the capacity of both.

Even though 9/11 could have been prevented by a single 9mm automatic, or even a will to live when told to lay down....if only those Americans had the tools to do what needed to be done.
    Last edited by John; 07-25-2008 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    Excellent reference Sir, I finished that excellent book in a little less then a week, couldn't put it down. He draws amazing parallels between the Wilson and Roosavelt administrations. Funny that FDR is seemingly remembered as one of this nations better presidents by some, when in my opinion he was dismal at best. Really made me look at the actual history of this country, rather then the versions I'd been handed before.

Interesting that the whole Uncle Sam "I want You" poster came from this era, I never knew it before.
    Isn't that a great book? You can e-mail Goldberg at National Review online.

James Montgomery Flagg did a number of WWI and WWII posters, but that's his masterpiece. He also posed for Uncle Sam himself. It's up there with Norman Rockwell's Four Freedoms and JC Leyendecker's portraits of Patton and MacArthur for war bond drive posters.

What's not widely known is that the government rationing extended to film stock, which is why Hollywood made so many "Why We Fight" type movies, although given the makeup of the entertainment industry at the time, they'd have done a lot of them anyway.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post

No patronizing intended. I don't disagree with getting the job done now that we are committed, but for those that start calling every Iraqi citizen that was on the sideline and now choose to picks up arms because of those "unintended consequences" or "collateral damages" ....let's just be honest when labeling them all "Al Qaeda" and terrorists. And from what you are saying I certainly don't beleive that applies to you, but it sure does for alot of Bush apologists in the Republican party.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor