Thread: Swinging Chicken Ritual Divides Orthodox Jews

1. #1 Swinging Chicken Ritual Divides Orthodox Jews 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Rabbi Shea Hecht plucks a chicken off a truck parked behind a synagogue in Queens, N.Y., and demonstrates how to swing a chicken.

"You take it by the wing," says the white-haired Hecht, careful not to get the chicken's feathers or anything else on his black suit and tall black hat. "You put one wing over the other wing. See? It's very relaxed. And you swing it very softly over your head like this."

Hecht holds the bird, waves it three times above his head, and says the prayer of Kapparot (or Kapparos, depending on heritage).

He prays that his sins will be transferred to the bird and he will escape the divine punishment that he deserves.

The prayer is more than 1,000 years old, and countless Orthodox Jews will recite it in the days before Yom Kippur, the Jewish day of atonement, which begins at sundown Sunday. Hecht says waving the chicken isn't the point of this ritual.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...1&sc=YahooNews

Swinging chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post

Swinging chickens.
    You have a million of those I'll bet .I have a question, after they send their sins into the chicken is it Kosher to make soup from the chicken or is that trief ?

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    You have a million of those I'll bet .I have a question, after they send their sins into the chicken is it Kosher to make soup from the chicken or is that trief ?
    Have you ever known a Jew to waste anything of value! I'm sure if they can't eat it they sell it to goyim that can. Not sure of spelling in woods with blackberry!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Have you ever known a Jew to waste anything of value! I'm sure if they can't eat it they sell it to goyim that can. Not sure of spelling in woods with blackberry!
    The Jews of antiquity did !The Goat and the chicken have a lot in common !

"Since this goat, carrying the sins of the people placed on it, is sent away to perish, the word "scapegoat" has come to mean a person, often innocent, who is blamed and punished for the sins, crimes, or sufferings of others, generally as a way of distracting attention from the real causes."