Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Hypothetical based on the weeks terror cell arrests. 
    I'm throwing this out there to see how many honest people we have who oppose "enhanced interrogation techniques". This question is based on the four separate terrorist arrests this last week in the US. It appears that connections to Pakistan are well defined and it was also made clear that the investigations prior to these arrests started over a year ago. This isn't to praise the Bush administration but to set a time line. Clearly these arrests are good and it appears that many people have been saved. So here is the hypothetical.

Should these terrorist suspects be let go IF it has been determined that we waterboarded someone in Afghanistan and that waterboarding, over a year ago gave our intelligence and law enforcement the leads to find and follow these cells?

and for what its worth, I also posted it over at NU.....
    Last edited by MountainMan; 09-26-2009 at 01:49 PM.

What site is NU?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    What site is NU?
    Unless you like beating your head up against a rock, don't bother........... :p

Quote Originally Posted by Mau10man View Post
    Unless you like beating your head up against a rock, don't bother........... :p
    I'm quite literally beating myself up with rocks this very moment!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    What site is NU?

http://www.neutralunderground.com/forum/

Quote Originally Posted by Mau10man View Post
    I'm throwing this out there to see how many honest people we have who oppose "enhanced interrogation techniques". .........................
    Should these terrorist suspects be let go IF it has been determined that we waterboarded someone in Afghanistan and that waterboarding, over a year ago gave our intelligence and law enforcement the leads to find and follow these cells?
    This is most likely a result of the domestic surveillence/wiretapping and old fashioned police work rather than interrogation. He travelled to Pockistaan(OBlah Blah pronunciation) afterall.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    This is most likely a result of the domestic surveillence/wiretapping and old fashioned police work rather than interrogation. He travelled to Pockistaan(OBlah Blah pronunciation) afterall.
    Which is why I made it a hypothetical about waterboarding.

Are there any supporters of Obama and his ideals that would take this on?

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    I am not a supporter of Obama.

I would not release these suspects if the intelligence techniques used to gain some, or all, of the information leading to their arrest came from enhanced interrogation techniques. In other words, I would not call it fruit from a poisoned tree.

And here is where I reveal myself to be a hypocrite: I would end the practice of enhanced interrogation techniques because they are illegal.

I doubt that the intelligence that lead to the arrest of these suspects came from such enhanced techniques, but it may have.

The legal and moral issues of our use of torture disturb me.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

If the guidelines actually allowed torture, this might be a pertinant question. As it is, the guidelines very clearly allowed causing discomfort or fear, but not torture.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

One would have to believe that enhanced interrogation techniques are torture to begin with. I think that a lot of what we are starting to see are the tangos testing whether or not this president has the balls like the previous president did. Our folks who are charge with protecting this country are working with their hands tied behind their back. We are showing weakness in this country because of who was elected. Elections have consequences.