Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 DUmmies apologize for rapist (Polanski) 
    Power CUer
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...esg_id=6639021

He could spend the rest of his life in prison if he's returned to the US
    Like that's a bad thing?:mad:

Depends - was Polanski part of, connected with, or sympathetic to the Bush administration? If so - then no it wouldn't be a bad thing. Otherwise - yes it would be a bad thing. [/du]
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

I think the entire thing is stupidity!! After all, although I don't agree with the underage sex, what did you do 30 years ago that you'd feel exactly the same about today?? You live and you learn.. I think we've all done stupid things in our youth that we don't agree with 30 years later...
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by stsinner View Post
    I think the entire thing is stupidity!! After all, although I don't agree with the underage sex, what did you do 30 years ago that you'd feel exactly the same about today?? You live and you learn.. I think we've all done stupid things in our youth that we don't agree with 30 years later...
    A crime is a crime. There are all kinds of stories where people commit crimes in their youth, escape the consequences and then have to come back and serve their time. Why should Polanski be any different? Hollywood does not get a free pass.

If my understanding is correct Polanski did report to prison as part of a plea deal and was released. Then the judge wanted to throw the whole thing out and give him some very long sentence, which both the prosecutor and the victim thought was excessive. I don't know. It's more complicated than a lot of people make it out to be.

Power CUer
    Plus, the girl involved (middle-aged now) wants the whole thing dropped.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

What he did was wrong, but I could see if he thought that the girl was 17 or 18. I saw the photo of her at 13 on the news, and like many 13 year old girls, she could have passed for older if she lied. She wants it over, maybe there can be some kind of arrangement that allows for little time served or something.

I'm not usually sympathetic to sex offenders, but he didn't do it again, and he lived in France, where I think seductive 13 year old girls are part of the culture. I have a small bit of sympathy for him because of the brutal murder of his wife and friends by the Manson cult.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Plus, the girl involved (middle-aged now) wants the whole thing dropped.
    This is the important part for me. Bringing up this issue every few years is just revictimizing her. Her life has been all about his subsequent career and that's just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    A crime is a crime. There are all kinds of stories where people commit crimes in their youth, escape the consequences and then have to come back and serve their time. Why should Polanski be any different? Hollywood does not get a free pass.
    Indeed.
    For instance, just a few years ago, a man named Edgar Ray Killen was convicted for his role in the 1964 murders of civil rights activists Michael Schwerner, James Chaney, and Andrew Goodman.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by movie buff View Post
    Indeed.
    For instance, just a few years ago, a man named Edgar Ray Killen was convicted for his role in the 1964 murders of civil rights activists Michael Schwerner, James Chaney, and Andrew Goodman.
    Is that quite the same situation? Did Goodman, Schwerner, and Chaney also say they wanted the charges dropped?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken