Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 What System Should I buy? 
    I'm about ready to scrap my ancient home PC. Here's what a new system should do:

Run common software such as Excel, WordPerfect, and SPSS;

Connect to the Internet;

Support a wireless laptop in addition to a workstation.

Seriously, that's it. What's my best buy in terms of user-compatibility, price, and longevity? I have no interest in viewing movies or doing high-level gaming. I have no interest in photo manipulation, editing, music downloads, or video. I have a high interest in security features. I'm guessing anything will be speedier than what I've got now in terms of hardware (I have DSL).

So, what should I get? PC? Mac? What features? What model?
    Last edited by Gingersnap; 09-08-2009 at 06:42 PM.

My only advice would be to stick with Intel, but definitely stay away from Celeron if they still sell them.. They have a reduced instruction set, so a Celeron at double the speed of a Pentium will still have trouble keeping up with the Pentium.

Check this out for $215:

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...8/product.html

I love Overstock.com
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I'm about ready to scrap my ancient home PC. Here's what a new system should do:

Connect to the Internet;

Seriously, that's it. What's my best buy in terms of user-compatibility, price, and longevity? I have no interest in viewing movies or doing high-level gaming. I have no interest in photo manipulation, editing, music downloads, or video. I have a high interest in security features. I'm guessing anything will be speedier than what I've got now in terms of hardware (I have DLS).

DLS ?

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    DLS ?
    I had a brief dyslexic moment. You know what I mean.:D

I had a brief dyslexic moment. You know what I mean.:D
    That was my first thought but I convinced myself that was impossible .

My advice is to buy a Dell or a real HP but not a HP/Compaq !
    They're on sale .

Take the large free disk upgrade and a big flat screen monitor, a laser mouse and high end keyboard.They are desperate to sell PC's Now, the prices are low Shop around..PS don''t buy the extended service plan .That's bull shit and you will never use it.
    http://www.dell.com/home/desktops

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...pc=CCp25723042

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Whatever you buy just get as much RAM as the OS will support. :)
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Whatever you buy just get as much RAM as the OS will support. :)

Generally the larger the 'Working Set 'the better.(WS is The size of the Physical memory block assigned to a running process in the Windows Operating System ).

When you have more that one process or window open the OS assigns a piece of virtual memory to that process.It really depends on what you use your computer for .Normal day to day internet use or honking on CU takes a minimal working set .Compiling and linking a large C++ program or running a large sort program demands a more memory.
    One trick to use for a very large ++ simulation program is to break them into smaller subroutines and compile them as developed and link and dynamically load them at run time .
    If you have many windows open (Processes) you will sometimes receive a virtual memory exhausted message .This is to indicate that the system has allocated all of the physical memory available and will start page faulting !Some processes use a dynamic memory allocation routine that may expand as the datum grows larger. Page faulting starts when a process demands a large Page (Block)of memory as an working set and isn't allocated the full set .The OS page faults and starts to rob Peter to pay Paul which slows things way down .

Most 32 bit PC's will not address more than 4 Gb .Both Windows 2000 and XP 32 bit operating systems can support 4 Gb of RAM, in theory, but in practice many builders have found that the practical limit used by the OS is between 2.5 to 3 GB .
    Last edited by megimoo; 09-08-2009 at 08:16 PM.

I have built over 50 computers in the last 8 years it is easy and I know you could handle it. if you absolutely have to have a name brand one Dell backs their products better than anyone I have dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I have built over 50 computers in the last 8 years it is easy and I know you could handle it. if you absolutely have to have a name brand one Dell backs their products better than anyone I have dealt with.
    You are amazing .You move rock around ,build walls and landscape for a living and yet you have the brains to build a complex system in your spare time.Next we will learn that have cloned a new species of Goat from some spare genetic material you had laying around .

Connect to the Internet;

Seriously, that's it. What's my best buy in terms of user-compatibility, price, and longevity? I have no interest in viewing movies or doing high-level gaming. I have no interest in photo manipulation, editing, music downloads, or video. I have a high interest in security features. I'm guessing anything will be speedier than what I've got now in terms of hardware (I have DSL).

PS make sure that the new 'box' is an sixty four bit machine and stick with Windows XP if they try and stiff you with the new one.You will have far fewer problems staying away from The O.S. of the year club that Microsoft want's to run .