Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 School Drafts Dorm Room Sex Policy. 
    New rules regulate sexual activity in dormitory rooms

By Ellen Kan

Published: Thursday, September 24, 2009

Updated: Sunday, September 27, 2009

elsey Marie Bell / Tufts Daily

There are lots of things roommates fight over ó sharing food, where dirty clothes go and how loud to play music, to name a few. But a new university policy is looking to preempt conflicts that can arise over when itís alright to engage in sexual activity.

The Office of Residential Life and Learning (ResLife) has added a new stipulation to its guest policy that prohibits any sex act in a dorm room while one's roommate is present. The stipulation further states that any sexual activity in the room should not interfere with a roommate's privacy, study habits or sleep.

ResLife's Assistant Director for Community and Judicial Affairs Carrie Ales-Rich explained that the change comes as a result of an annual review of residential policies that examines the previous year's trends.

ResLife received a significant number of complaints last year from residents bothered by their roommates' sexual behavior. Ales-Rich said that this was one of the most commonly cited sources of conflict between roommates.

"There were incidents that occurred last year, and in the past, where residents of rooms started to feel uncomfortable with what their roommates were doing in the room," Ales-Rich said. "This happened more often than we'd like."

The sex policy, Ales-Rich said, is intended as a tool to facilitate conversation and compromise between roommates, rather than simply proscribe behavior. Ales-Rich emphasized that ResLife hopes students will be able to resolve the issues on their own instead of allowing conflicts to reach a point at which the office has to intervene.

"We want to make perfectly clear that we do not want to hinder someone from engaging in any personal or private activity," she said. "But when it becomes uncomfortable for the roommate, we want to have something in place that empowers the residents to have a good conversation with the roommate."
    Students are complaining about this policy, naturally. As someone who had to endure my roommate's compulsive slut behavior, I predict that getting roommates to "talk" about the issue will be useless. I did talk about it but she didn't care. Her position was that I could leave or I could watch - whatever.

There comes a point at which your friends are tired of you showing up at 3:00 A.M. looking for a place to sleep.

Tufts Daily

There is a reason why there are cheap motels near most college campuses.

I had a wild roommate my sophmore year, and she wasn't in my sorority. Our dorm rooms had two rooms, and we had our beds in the inner room. She would have guys overnight, and they would have sex in the other room while I was trying to sleep. If I had to get up and go to the bathroom (community bathrooms), I would walk through when she was in the middle of it and she would get all mad. I'd tell her to get a motel room.

Of course they could just go back to the old school form of: GO FUCK SOME WHERE ELSE YOU FILTHY SLUT! Banning all sexual activity in the dorms completely.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Power CUer
    Whatever happened to putting one of the guy's socks on your doorknob??
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Whatever happened to putting one of the guy's socks on your doorknob??
    Well, when the sock is on the door every night from 8:00 p.m. until past midnight, it gets pretty old, pretty quick. A dorm room is your living space - not just a public space like an office cubicle or a library carrel (a place you think of as "yours" but it's really not).

If you can't afford to rent or own a truly private space for your sexual adventures, maybe you aren't ready for grown-up sex yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Well, when the sock is on the door every night from 8:00 p.m. until past midnight, it gets pretty old, pretty quick. A dorm room is your living space - not just a public space like an office cubicle or a library carrel (a place you think of as "yours" but it's really not).

If you can't afford to rent or own a truly private space for your sexual adventures, maybe you aren't ready for grown-up sex yet.
    which is why all sexual activity in the dorms should be banned. How many parents are ready to face that they have been financing the sexcapades of their children? I'm betting most parents would - given the choice - opt for a dorm where sex is prohibited and their students will be spending their time on their education rather than oral sex 101.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    which is why all sexual activity in the dorms should be banned. How many parents are ready to face that they have been financing the sexcapades of their children? I'm betting most parents would - given the choice - opt for a dorm where sex is prohibited and their students will be spending their time on their education rather than oral sex 101.
    I dunno.

A lot of places in the world, mastering Oral Sex 101 will take you further than the worthless Liberal Arts Degree will. :D

Power CUer
    Most parents remember their own escapades too well for that to be true. :D
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by asdf2231 View Post
    I dunno.

A lot of places in the world, mastering Oral Sex 101 will take you further than the worthless Liberal Arts Degree will. :D
    and you want your daughter mastering this skill? In college?

Power CUer
    and you want your daughter mastering this skill? In college?
    Once kids go off to college, they've pretty much entered the adult world. Any father would say that he wouldn't want his daughter to master that skill even by the time she's 57, but he's also more than willing to accept that skill from other men's daughters.