Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Aquacalypse Now: The End of Fish 
    September 28, 2009 | 12:00 am

Our oceans have been the victims of a giant Ponzi scheme, waged with Bernie Madoff–like callousness by the world’s fisheries. Beginning in the 1950s, as their operations became increasingly industrialized--with onboard refrigeration, acoustic fish-finders, and, later, GPS--they first depleted stocks of cod, hake, flounder, sole, and halibut in the Northern Hemisphere. As those stocks disappeared, the fleets moved southward, to the coasts of developing nations and, ultimately, all the way to the shores of Antarctica, searching for icefishes and rockcods, and, more recently, for small, shrimplike krill. As the bounty of coastal waters dropped, fisheries moved further offshore, to deeper waters. And, finally, as the larger fish began to disappear, boats began to catch fish that were smaller and uglier--fish never before considered fit for human consumption. Many were renamed so that they could be marketed: The suspicious slimehead became the delicious orange roughy, while the worrisome Patagonian toothfish became the wholesome Chilean seabass. Others, like the homely hoki, were cut up so they could be sold sight-unseen as fish sticks and filets in fast-food restaurants and the frozen-food aisle.

The scheme was carried out by nothing less than a fishing-industrial complex--an alliance of corporate fishing fleets, lobbyists, parliamentary representatives, and fisheries economists. By hiding behind the romantic image of the small-scale, independent fisherman, they secured political influence and government subsidies far in excess of what would be expected, given their minuscule contribution to the GDP CONTINUED
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

This has got to be the third or fourth t ime I've heard it claimed that the oceans would be out of fish sometime in the near future . . . .

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Paging Ted Danson...Ted Danson...:D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Well, I think there is some validity to concern about over fishing. I'm no believer in global warming (outside normal global temp shifts) but in this case I do think we need a global agreement on how much of each species can be fished. It would be very nasty if the entire oceanic food chain fell apart for 20-30 years due to stupidity on our part.

Will the ocean recover if we overfish? Yes. Will it still provide food for us during that period? No. Think about it.

Overfishing is a real issue but not a world-ending one. We need to come up with better aquaculture systems to meet the demand for fish.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Paging Ted Danson...Ted Danson...:D
    I remember that commercial!

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Overfishing is a real issue but not a world-ending one.
    And they have been predicting that the worlds oceans would be fished dry in the past - like how they keep predicting peak oil and there was the claim in the 70s that we would run out of certain minerals like copper . . . .

I've got a pretty good stock of canned salmon but I don't know what you guys will do.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    And they have been predicting that the worlds oceans would be fished dry in the past - like how they keep predicting peak oil and there was the claim in the 70s that we would run out of certain minerals like copper . . . .
    I try to do my part! :D

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

10. #10 Hi 
    They are really very cool, very wonderful
    Great work .. really informative .. and thanks a lot for sharing ..
    Glad it works as expected for you
    looking good