Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I prefer beer battered, deep fried, farm raised catfish filets myself. But that's just me.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    I prefer beer battered, deep fried, farm raised catfish filets myself. But that's just me.
    I like crab legs. So . . . pull off a few and throw the damn thing back. I mean how many legs does a crab really need?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

There's plenty of carp in the Detroit River, not that I would eat anything out of that river, especially a bottom-feeder. But lots of poor people eat it. I see people fishing on the piers at Belle Isle.

The Great Lakes still have plenty of fish at this point. The Zebra mussels started dying off for some reason this year(maybe they couldn't make the long-term adjustment to the Great Lakes, after all?) and now if the lamphrey eel starts doing the same, the trout and such will come back in larger numbers. Lake trout from Lake Michigan is a treat, beer-battered and deep fried is the best way to eat it. My dad likes living in Florida and being able to fish year round, but he misses fishing on Michigan lakes.

Salmon is pretty easy to catch this time of year in a lot of the rivers around here. I like it smoked best, or prepared with cream cheese, onions and lox, and baked with/on top of potatos.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I like crab legs. So . . . pull off a few and throw the damn thing back. I mean how many legs does a crab really need?
    I always figured you for a thinker!

Now that's a glass is half full guy ;)

Stone crab season down here is like that! First day of the season the price is phenominal! One time I had taken my 2nd wife to Crabby Bills, a kick ass seafood joint. It happened to be the first day of stone crab season and she wanted a pound, drowned in butter, so Okay have them. We spent about 4 hours there at the bar and she had another pound later on, well on the way to the motel across the street she upchucks about 60 bucks worth of crab and beer! :eek: I was pissed! They are good though, all I had was about 6 dozen oysters!:D

Stone Crab (Menippe Mercenaria)
    Menippe-Greek, meaning force or courage
    Mercinaria-Latin, something of value

In order to assure the continued survival of the species: Only one claw may be removed so the crab can defend itself. Egg bearing females are not allowed to be declawed.The crabs are captured in baited traps. No spears or hooks are allowed. Four inches from the first joint to the tip is the minimum legal size, that's about two ounces. A colossal can weigh 25 ounces or more. The large crusher claw can exert extreme pressure. As much as 19000 lbs. per square inch. Although their massive claws serve as deterrents to most predators, fishermen have reported the stone crab falls prey to the octopus. Stone crab season in Florida runs from October 15th to May 15. Stone crabs exhibit carnivorous feeding behavior. Sometimes in traps they resort to cannibalism! The claws make up half the weight of the whole crab, they are removed by carefully grabbing from the rear and twisting. The crab is returned to water and the claw regenerates. It takes between 12 to 24 months to reach legal size again. In 1963 stone crabs cost 30 cents a dozen wholesale.

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.