Thread: Dem Mayor Plunders General Fund For "Homeless" Drunks.

1. #1 Dem Mayor Plunders General Fund For "Homeless" Drunks. 
    Mayor Hickenlooper beefs up homeless funding
    By Christopher N. Osher
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 09/30/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

At a time when Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper has proposed freezing city salaries, laying off 176 employees and slashing library hours, he has decided to boost spending to battle homelessness.

The mayor's proposed 2010 budget would transfer $2.3 million in general-fund money next year to homeless programs, the second year in a row in which those programs have received money from the general fund.

The mayor's initiative against homelessness has garnered $12 million from foundations and private donors, but to avoid cutting homeless services next year and to finance new housing, the mayor is tapping the city's general fund, which faces a $120 million budget gap.

The mayor said the move ends up saving the city money by keeping the homeless out of more costly jail space and expensive detoxification programs.

In fact, the mayor said, a drop in chronic homelessness has freed up enough jail space to allow the city to rent out jail beds to other communities.

Over the past two years, the city also has saved about $2.1 million on hospital detox programs by steering people into stable housing, the mayor said.

"Those are clear savings we are realizing from this relatively modest investment," Hickenlooper told council members during a recent briefing.

The council, which will decide whether to approve the mayor's budget in November, seems supportive for the most part. There are a couple of dissenters, though.

Council members Jeanne Faatz and Charlie Brown said the spending increase comes at a bad time given the deficit.

"I think this breaks the faith with the public and the collective bargaining units, and the employees," Faatz said during the recent budget meeting. "We tell them the general fund is $120 million in the hole, and part of that hole we are creating by siphoning money off. That, to me, is not appropriate."
    This is typical of the insanity that is Denver. They may free up some jail space but they eat up all of the savings in 911 calls from these 'bunks for drunks' places.

Denver Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    This is typical of the insanity that is Denver. They may free up some jail space but they eat up all of the savings in 911 calls from these 'bunks for drunks' places.

Denver Post
    Since this is just a place to stay and not really a home, then I believe that you still have a homeless problem, you just have less people sleeping on the street. Teach them how to find and keep a job and then you've really done something about the homeless problem. All this seems to be is something to make liberals feel good about themselves without actually doing anything of substance and spending someone elses money to do it... typical.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Since this is just a place to stay and not really a home, then I believe that you still have a homeless problem, you just have less people sleeping on the street. Teach them how to find and keep a job and then you've really done something about the homeless problem. All this seems to be is something to make liberals feel good about themselves without actually doing anything of substance and spending someone elses money to do it... typical.
    They aren't homeless. They live in the crummy hotels on Colfax Ave. This would just move them into crummy public housing (a bunch of which Denver just got through tearing down). Most of these people have zero interest in losing their addictions and regaining a "normal" life. They have money (from begging), flexible working hours, free food, and an instant community of other drunks/addicts. Why should they change?

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    They aren't homeless. They live in the crummy hotels on Colfax Ave. This would just move them into crummy public housing (a bunch of which Denver just got through tearing down). Most of these people have zero interest in losing their addictions and regaining a "normal" life. They have money (from begging), flexible working hours, free food, and an instant community of other drunks/addicts. Why should they change?
    Ah, Colfax...brings back memories.

When I first moved to Denver, young and non-affluent, I had an apartment that had the address 1568 (Ginger will know what that means).

Sleeping through the sirens at night was not easy.

rm -rf obama*

Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    Ah, Colfax...brings back memories.

When I first moved to Denver, young and non-affluent, I had an apartment that had the address 1568 (Ginger will know what that means).

Sleeping through the sirens at night was not easy.
    But the easy access to hookers, heroin and MD20/20 probably made up for all that. :p