Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Bette Midler Warns Glenn Beck Could Set Off a Rwanda-Like Civil War in U.S. 
    Bette Midler Warns Glenn Beck Could Set Off a Rwanda-Like Civil War in U.S.
    By Jeff Poor (Bio | Archive)
    September 30, 2009 - 07:50 ET

It's just what the primetime cable news lineup needed - another hour-long program tilted toward left-of-center politics with character assassination on conservatives.

CNN Headline News debuted its "The Joy Behar Show" on Sept. 29, which included appearances by lefty comedian Jeanane Garofalo, CNN's Jack Cafferty and actress Bette Midler. Garofalo doubled down on her low regard for conservative 9/12 and tea party protesters, labeling them as racists. Cafferty went after President Barack Obama for his disregard of the carbon footprint his lobbying efforts in Copenhagen for Chicago to host the 2016 Summer Olympics.

However, actress-turned-Vegas entertainer Bette Midler went straight after former CNN Headline News host Glenn Beck. She was prodded by host Joy Behar, who mentioned Beck as someone who is encouraging a breakdown in so-called "political discourse."

"Someone like Glenn Beck has made gazillions of dollars because he's out there being sort of hateful in many ways," Behar said. "He calls himself a clown and a comedian. Do you think it's funny?"

Midler confirmed what one would probably expect - she's not a fan of Beck at all.

"I don't think he's funny even a little bit," Midler said. "I've never had a laugh from Glenn Beck. In fact, I find him terrifying. I find him terrifying. He's like an old school demagogue, and it's really frightening."

What did Midler compare Beck to? She likened the popular Fox News host to the instigators of the Rwandan civil war, which was the catalyst for the Rwandan genocide where an estimated 800,000 to 1 million lost their lives.

"If you look around at the rest of the world and what this kind of behavior has done, like in Rwanda, where the demagogues got on the radio and fomented all that hate between the Tutsis and the Hutus and the devastation that happened from that, I mean, it's terrifying," Midler said.

According to Midler, that's a possibility in the United States.

"And that could happen, you know, you could turn on a dime," Midler warned. "That could happen here."
    Just what we need: more over-the-hill entertainers weighing in on political discourse in the United States.

Newsbusters

Let them shoot their mouths off. They look like the horses ass, and it's just drawing more attention to Becks message.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Let them shoot their mouths off. They look like the horses ass, and it's just drawing more attention to Becks message.
    The more they talk about him, the more they draw attention to him. That is very true.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    The more they talk about him, the more they draw attention to him. That is very true.

Hocus Pocus - I Put A Spell On You
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDidHzwYu3E

Why would anyone possibly care what Bette Midler thinks about anyone.

Becks book common Sense, was just that! About common sense. I'm in the middle of Arguing With Idiots and so far he is again talking about common sense. He hits left and right, of course there are more stupid people on the left so no suprise they hate him. I guarantee that these idiots will not read any of his books and still feel like an expert critic!
    Lefty loons are just talking to each other anymore!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    However, actress-turned-Vegas entertainer Bette Midler
    Who in Gods name would fly to Vegas and waste time and money
    seeing this old witch???
    May the FORCE be with you!

Power CUer
    I can't think of any reason to go to Vegas, period, but she did a great show years ago with her backup group, the Harlettes. :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Power CUer
    I'll probably read most of Beck's book while I'm standing in the bookstore, if only to see why he appears to be a doorman of some kind on the cover.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I can't think of any reason to go to Vegas, period, but she did a great show years ago with her backup group, the Harlettes. :p
    Harlettes? That sounds suspiciously like Harlots to me. Was Bette projecting?:eek:
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand