Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Successful Plus Size Models 
    Successful Plus Size Models

Glamour magazine is leading the way in examining the fashion industry's fascination with stick-thin models

Christina Mendez

It all started in Glamour's September issue with a photo of "the girl on page 194." The tiny photo of plus-size model Lizzie Miller with her natural-looking belly roll showing began a deluge of letters to the magazine declaring it "the most amazing photograph I've ever seen in any women's magazine."

Due to the overwhelming response, Glamour took the conversation a step further in its November issue, on newsstands October 6, commissioning Matthias Vriens-McGrath to shoot plus-size models Lizzie Miller, Crystal Renn, Kate Dillon, among others, in a style similar to what Herb Ritts did with nude supermodels in the 1980s.
    Potentially NSFW pic at link (it's pretty tame and "artistic"). Good for them. Most of the women in the pic would look pretty normal-weighted in real life if they stood up and put some clothes on. There has to be some kind of middle ground between Victoria Beckham and Beth Ditto. (I'm loving VB's clothing line, however.)

Fox

Plus size?

-
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    Plus size?

Looks perfectly normal to me.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    Looks perfectly normal to me.
    The fashion industry considers a model to be "plus sized" if she is above a 6 or 8 now. Models who are 8 - 10 become catalog models, 12 and up are used in situations where the garment sizing exceeds size 16 (even if the model doesn't wear anything close to that size). Catwalk models and glossy mag models run between size 0 and size 4 (most toward the low end).

This is why women were so astonished at the original "plus-sized" pic in Glamour. The woman herself is not plus sized but she's not twig thin and she was photographed in a pose that would give most women pause. Women were just amazed to see a pic that looked something like themselves. I'm all for it.

The whole fat acceptance thing escapes me but showing normal women seems like a real break though in fashion. I'd love to see more clothing being designed by heterosexual women for heterosexual women. I bet things would look a lot different in ready-to-wear.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    The fashion industry considers a model to be "plus sized" if she is above a 6 or 8 now. Models who are 8 - 10 become catalog models, 12 and up are used in situations where the garment sizing exceeds size 16 (even if the model doesn't wear anything close to that size). Catwalk models and glossy mag models run between size 0 and size 4 (most toward the low end).

This is why women were so astonished at the original "plus-sized" pic in Glamour. The woman herself is not plus sized but she's not twig thin and she was photographed in a pose that would give most women pause. Women were just amazed to see a pic that looked something like themselves. I'm all for it.

The whole fat acceptance thing escapes me but showing normal women seems like a real break though in fashion. I'd love to see more clothing being designed by heterosexual women for heterosexual women. I bet things would look a lot different in ready-to-wear.
    I could never figure out why most of the top Woman's Fashion Design Houses were owned and run by gays as were most of their top designers .

Most gays would have little interest in woman on a normal level but seem to enjoy working with woman's clothing's .

Some of the more outlandish designs seemed to distort and disguise a woman's natural beauty .The insistence that female beauty must be thin was also a further distortion of a natural woman's beauty .Ultra thin woman seem to look more like young men than woman.Perhaps that was their intention,who knows ?

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    She looks like several large handfulls !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    She looks like several large handfulls !
    She is a bit chubby but she's really kind of pretty!

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!