Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    because it's not as simple as being a way of 'controlling' a segment of voters.
    Agreed. Ain't sayin everyone thinks like me! There are a lot of repubs who probably wouldn't vote for him even if he were anti-abortion. And then he'd have all of his party hating him too. Mad would not be a good move. I just personally feel abortion is the greatest moral issue our country (and the world) is facing right now, and it grieves me so much, that I'd accept the most radical liberal looney if he vowed to ban abortion (and take serious steps to reduce illegal abortion/encourage women to choose life).

Power CUer
    [QUOTE=ExLiberal;195614I just personally feel abortion is the greatest moral issue our country (and the world) is facing right now, and it grieves me so much, that I'd accept the most radical liberal looney if he vowed to ban abortion (and take serious steps to reduce illegal abortion/encourage women to choose life).[/QUOTE]

You don't have the power of numbers behind you. The populace never ranks abortion higher than #5 or #6 on a list of political issues.

Any looney who "banned" abortion would be acting illegally and unconstitutionally, so voting for him/her would be equally looney.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    You don't have the power of numbers behind you. The populace never ranks abortion higher than #5 or #6 on a list of political issues.

Any looney who "banned" abortion would be acting illegally and unconstitutionally, so voting for him/her would be equally looney.
    So I have a choice between being looney or evil? I'll go with looney, thanks.

Do you want to know why they probably didn't mention abortion in the constitution? Because they never would've considered for a moment that society would want to legalize this satanic "procedure". Nor did they mention gay marriage, because they never would have dreamed in a million years such a perverse public desire would exist. The founding fathers would be turning in their graves if they saw what this country has become. You know who else would be turning in their graves? All the early day feminists. Practically ALL of them were against abortion. Even they saw how insanely evil it is...no matter how much people try to disguise and sugar-coat it. I really don't care if banning abortion is unconstitutional. We're talking about universal, transcendental morality here. Any country that legalizes murder is a criminal country. For murder is universally evil and condemned. Americans are NOT infallible in their judgments. I think that's pretty obvious by now.

"Guilty? Yes. No matter what the motive, love of ease, or a desire to save from suffering the unborn innocent, the woman is awfully guilty who commits the deed. It will burden her conscience in life, it will burden her soul in death; but oh, thrice guilty is he who...drove her to the desperation which impelled her to the crime!" -Susan B. Anthony, The Revolution, 1869

"Every woman knows that if she were free, she would never bear an unwished-for child, nor think of murdering one before its birth." -Victoria Woodhull, America's first female presidential candidate. Wheeling, West Virginia Evening Standard November 17, 1875

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873. Recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library.

"Abortion is the ultimate exploitation of women."
    -Alice Paul, the author of the original Equal Rights Amendment (1923)

"The gross perversion and destruction of motherhood by the abortionist filled me with indignation, and awakened active antagonism. That the honorable term “female physician” should be exclusively applied to those women who carried on this shocking trade seemed to me a horror. It was an utter degradation of what might and should become a noble position for women." -Dr. Elizabeth Blackwell, the first female physician, in her diary, where she recorded her thoughts about Madame Restell, an early New York abortionist. 1845.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by ExLiberal View Post
    So I have a choice between being looney or evil? I'll go with looney, thanks.

Do you want to know why they probably didn't mention abortion in the constitution? Because they never would've considered for a moment that society would want to legalize this satanic "procedure".
    No, that's not the reason. Abortion was certainly known, and practiced, at the time. There were no specific state laws against abortion until the 1820s.
    History's very interesting to read. Try some. :)

I don't think they mentioned ANY medical procedures in the Constitution. You can show me where, if I'm wrong on that.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Power CUer
    You're quite right that early feminists were anti-abortion. However, quoting Victoria Woodhull as a champion of morality is an interesting choice. :D

7. #17 Some more. 
    "There must be a remedy even for such a crying evil as this. But where shall it be found, at least where begin, if not in the complete enfranchisement and elevation of women?"
    -Elizabeth Cady Stanton, The Revolution, 1(10):146-7 March 12, 1868

"Women becoming, consequently, weaker...than they ought to be...have not sufficient strength to discharge the first duty of a mother; and sacrificing to lasciviousness the parental affection...either destroy the embryo in the womb, or cast if off when born. Nature in every thing demands respect, and those who violate her laws seldom violate them with impunity."
    -Mary Wollstonecraft

"The custom of procuring abortions has reached such appalling proportions in America as to be beyond belief...So great is the misery of the working classes that seventeen abortions are committed in every one hundred pregnancies."
    -Emma Goldman, Mother Earth, 1911

"[This] subject lies deeper down in woman's wrongs than any other...I hesitate not to assert that most of [the responsibility for] this crime lies at the door of the male sex."
    -Matilda Gage, The Revolution, 1(14):215-6 April 9, 1868

"We want prevention, not merely punishment. We must reach the root of the evil...It is practiced by those whose inmost souls revolt from the dreadful deed."
    -Susan B. Anthony, The Revolution, 4(1):4 July 8, 1869

"Child murderers practice their profession without let or hindrance, and open infant butcheries unquestioned...Is there no remedy for all this ante-natal child murder?...Perhaps there will come a time when...an unmarried mother will not be despised because of her motherhood...and when the right of the unborn to be born will not be denied or interfered with."
    - Sarah Norton

"When a man steals to satisfy hunger, we may safely conclude that there is something wrong in society - so when a woman destroys the life of her unborn child, it is an evidence that either by education or circumstances she has been greatly wronged."
    -Mattie Brinkerhoff

"The rights of children as individuals begin while yet they remain the foetus."
    Woodhull's and Claflin's Weekly 2(6):4 December 24, 1870
    -Victoria Woodhull

Power CUer
    Excellent cut and paste. I hope you've heard of, and have read about, all of these women. :) Certainly many of them were the "liberals" you profess to dislike.

Baby-cakes, or should I say baby-killer, snarkiness can only make you look so smart. I'd give it a rest every couple replies. And yes, obviously I'm going to copy and paste quotes. Who exactly do you know who'd memorize and write all of those out? And also... you're absolutely right! I do not support many of the ideologies of these feminists and certain things they promoted and fought for. I wasn't trying to be hypocritical in sounding like I support them. I was posting those quotes to show you what the early day feminists truly thought of abortion (despite what lying, deceptive feminist websites will have you know)....and to put a particular emphasis on what the early day feminists might think if they were to appear today and witness the abortion situation in our country. And the founding fathers, for that matter. Do we even need to speculate what their reactions might be? No. I don't think so.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by ExLiberal View Post
    Baby-cakes, or should I say baby-killer, snarkiness can only make you look so smart. I'd give it a rest every couple replies.
    If you haven't heard of Victoria Woodhull, just say so. Many people haven't. Just out of curiosity, may I ask your age?