Thread: Life on Mars?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by du freeper View Post
    Can you explain how life started on this rock?
    By the Lord's hand.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    ....and you know this...how?

You have degrees in microbiology, extraterrestrial sciences? Do you work for NASA?
    I don't know. Like I said, I'm guessing. I do know, however, that the kinds of microbes which are hardy enough to survive in space or on Mars are rare and as such are not likely to have found their way onto one of our spacecraft.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Quote Originally Posted by John McCain View Post
    you just can't help yourself, can you?

your just a douche 24/7. Your life must suck.
    It's okay. Sonnabend and I have a certain rapport which allows for us to have extremely hostile exchanges while still enjoying each other's company. We are kind of like Sam and Ralph...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_She...and_Ralph_Wolf
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Resident Grump
    I don't know. Like I said, I'm guessing. I do know, however, that the kinds of microbes which are hardy enough to survive in space or on Mars are rare and as such are not likely to have found their way onto one of our spacecraft.
    You're assuming that these are terrestrial microbes following terrestrial physiology. Any living organism that has evolved to survive in an alien atmosphere or hostile environmental conditions can handle vacuum.

The Andromeda Strain, whilst agreed as fiction nevertheless touches on a very real scientific basis. We are one race, on a small backwoods planet amongst a billion stars and planets..and it is the very height of hubris to assume that all life must parallel or be similar to ours.

That we have not seen them does not mean they do not exist..it means we do not know.

To me, it is the very height of arrogance to believe that we are the only life in this entire universe.

No more than thinking we were made in His image.;)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    To me, it is the very height of arrogance to believe that we are the only life in this entire universe.
    My argument is that if there is life on Mars, it probably did not originate from Earth.

I couldn't agree more with your statement that Earth is not the only place in the Universe which has life. In my view, the probability that life exists on planets other than Earth is extremely high... probably close to 100%. In fact, I'm of the mind that life is abundant in the Universe and that technological civilizations may be abundant as well. Consider...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ztl8CG3Sys
    Last edited by The Night Owl; 05-31-2008 at 08:37 PM.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Life on Mars? I've known there's life on Mars since 1948...and I have the video to prove it.

Proof of life on Mars.

Resident Grump
    No more than thinking we were made in His image.;)
    To the man who believes, no proof is necessary.
    To the man who does not, no proof will suffice.

Or this

Faith and science are the shoes on your feet..you get farther with both, than you do with just one.

Quote Originally Posted by Full-Auto View Post
    He's being an ass. He thinks it witty to mock the Christian faith. My suggestion is that you ignore him.
    Literally. Put him on your ignore list because he offers nothing to this entire forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The Bible tells you all the things you need to know, not everything there is to know. I believe we are created in His image, and we (are suppose to) have common sense. Why would He create the vastness of space with all the galaxies and put life on only this one planet. It just don't make sense.
    If Adam and Eve had not sinned, what do you think the human race would've done once we had explored and understood this one planet?