Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Gourmet Magazine will shut down 
    Power CUer
    After almost seventy years of fine living and good cooking. :(

One of America's oldest food magazines is closing.

Condé Nast Publications announced it is shutting down the highly respected culinary magazine Gourmet. The publisher is also closing Elegant Bride, Modern Bride and the parenting magazine Cookie.

Gourmet, which debuted in 1941, has been hammered by the US media industry's advertising slump. According to the Publishers Information Bureau, Gourmet's ad pages were down 50% in the second quarter this year compared to 2008.

Jay Rayner, the Observer's restaurant critic and a former Gourmet writer, said working at the magazine "was like flying the Atlantic first class. It ruined you for other food magazines".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/dead...gazine-closing
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I don't know if this actually seems world-ending. :p

Power CUer
    I selected it carefully. Please don't throw it into the Whiny Zone.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Never liked it, too poo-pooh! I have all the Cuisine at Home mags since they came out, They are the best to teach you how to cook new and exciting foods and no bothersome adds!. I tried Cooks magazine, but it was all black and white, I like color pics! I just got an offer in the mail the other day for The Food Network Magazine, no thanks there too!

Sorry about your loss! Try Cuisine at home!:D

This episode alone had like 5 recipes that were great!!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

With the advent of the internet - who buys these kinds of specialty magazines any more?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    With the advent of the internet - who buys these kinds of specialty magazines any more?
    Hence the loss of ad revenue. Oh, well, I have a whole bookshelf of the annual volumes.

Power CUer
    I always liked it, since "poo-pooh" never bothered me. You take what you need and leave the rest, as the song says, and Gourmet always maintained high standards.

Patriot, I wish I knew how to post pictures the way you do - I made a brisket yesterday that was SO fabulous my husband actually took before and after pictures!

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Never liked it, too poo-pooh! I have all the Cuisine at Home mags since they came out, They are the best to teach you how to cook new and exciting foods and no bothersome adds!. I tried Cooks magazine, but it was all black and white, I like color pics! I just got an offer in the mail the other day for The Food Network Magazine, no thanks there too!

I like Cooks magazine but if you need color try Cooks Country,Same outfit but it's in color.

This month has twenty entry's with color pictures of the dishes,Deserts and Main Courses. Everything from Sweet Potato Pie to Baked Apple Dumplings with Boiled Cider Sauce .

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post

Beef Wellington. Sweet.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Beef Wellington. Sweet.
    Prime Cut pound and a Half Fillet Mignon Beef Wellington !