Thread: My Message to John Murtha

1. #1 My Message to John Murtha 
    The following message was submitted to Representative John Murtha by myself today, July 19th 2008 via email from Anbar Province, Iraq as well as conventional mailing. I highly doubt any form of reply, but Pa is my home state and I felt it's worth a try.

Good afternoon Sir,

My name is Sergeant Matthew S. Jackson, United States Marine Corps. I’m currently serving with Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 363 on tour in Iraq. I wanted to take this opportunity to speak to you Sir on your voiced opinions of some of my fellow Marines and to hopefully engage a thoughtful conversation on the subject.

Yourself having served in the U.S. Marine Corps, I’m sure you’re familiar Sir with the slogan, “Once a Marine, Always a Marine”. Stating this point, I’d like to reprint one of your comments verbatim concerning the incident that occurred at Haditha in 2005:

“It's much worse than reported in Time magazine. There was no fire fight. There was no IED that killed these innocent people. Our troops overreacted because of the pressure on them and they killed innocent civilians in cold blood.”

I ask with a heavy heart Sir, how could you assault the credibility, good standing and professionalism of the Marines on the ground in Iraq, particularly the 8 Marines charged in the Haditha incident without hearing their sides of the story?

Subsequently Sir, 7 of the 8 Marines charged in the incident have been cleared of wrongdoing. Will you now Sir grant my brave brethren the apology that they are long overdue?

I ask you Sir to remember our hallowed Corps values of Honor, Courage and Commitment. Your conduct in the verbal disgrace of these Marines, and the Marine Corps in general is not in accordance with our Corps values and everything the United States Marine Corps stands for.

I ask you humbly Sir to do the right thing. Stand for what is right, not only as a retired USMC Colonel, but as a man and publicly issue the following Marines the apology they are owed:

LtCol Jeffrey Chessani
    Capt. Randy Stone
    Capt. Lucas McConnell
    1st Lt Andrew Grayson
    Sgt Sanick P. DelaCruz
    LCpl Justin Sharratt
    LCpl Stephen Tatum
    1st Lt Andrew Grayson

Respectfully,

Matthew S. Jackson
    Sergeant, United States Marine Corps
    Matthew.Jackson@aa.mnf-wiraq.usmc.mil
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    The following message was submitted to Representative John Murtha by myself today, July 19th 2008 via email from Anbar Province, Iraq as well as conventional mailing. I highly doubt any form of reply, but Pa is my home state and I felt it's worth a try.

Good afternoon Sir,

My name is Sergeant Matthew S. Jackson, United States Marine Corps. I’m currently serving with Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 363 on tour in Iraq. I wanted to take this opportunity to speak to you Sir on your voiced opinions of some of my fellow Marines and to hopefully engage a thoughtful conversation on the subject.

Yourself having served in the U.S. Marine Corps, I’m sure you’re familiar Sir with the slogan, “Once a Marine, Always a Marine”. Stating this point, I’d like to reprint one of your comments verbatim concerning the incident that occurred at Haditha in 2005:

“It's much worse than reported in Time magazine. There was no fire fight. There was no IED that killed these innocent people. Our troops overreacted because of the pressure on them and they killed innocent civilians in cold blood.”

I ask with a heavy heart Sir, how could you assault the credibility, good standing and professionalism of the Marines on the ground in Iraq, particularly the 8 Marines charged in the Haditha incident without hearing their sides of the story?

Subsequently Sir, 7 of the 8 Marines charged in the incident have been cleared of wrongdoing. Will you now Sir grant my brave brethren the apology that they are long overdue?

I ask you Sir to remember our hallowed Corps values of Honor, Courage and Commitment. Your conduct in the verbal disgrace of these Marines, and the Marine Corps in general is not in accordance with our Corps values and everything the United States Marine Corps stands for.

I ask you humbly Sir to do the right thing. Stand for what is right, not only as a retired USMC Colonel, but as a man and publicly issue the following Marines the apology they are owed:

LtCol Jeffrey Chessani
    Capt. Randy Stone
    Capt. Lucas McConnell
    1st Lt Andrew Grayson
    Sgt Sanick P. DelaCruz
    LCpl Justin Sharratt
    LCpl Stephen Tatum
    1st Lt Andrew Grayson

Respectfully,

Matthew S. Jackson
    Sergeant, United States Marine Corps
    Matthew.Jackson@aa.mnf-wiraq.usmc.mil
    Murtha seems to lack the understanding of honor and loyalty.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Thank you Sergeant Jackson for your post and your service. I must admit Sir, your post saddened me. I understand why you addressed Mr. Murtha as sir, 8 times. The respect you exhibited said more about you than it said about him. But as a civilian, I wish Mr.Murtha could be afforded the respect he truly deserves. I guess that would be none in my way of thinking.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Outstanding, Matt. Just outstanding.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Great letter.
    Sadly you probably will not get an apology from any poltician that denounced those men's actions.....Especially Murtha. He's been stony silent on a number of things and out of the limelight for some time now.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Very nice letter. I would be more blunt, but I am not active duty anymore.

Stay safe and Thanks! :)

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Good on you!

The most I'd hope for is a Standardized Reply of some type but ya never know!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Relative to this thread;

THANK YOU! WE ARE BACK ON THE BALLOT!

Lt. Colonel William Russell is a decorated combat veteran who has served in Desert Storm, the Iraq War, and the Pentagon on 9/11.

He's a Republican, and he came home to run against Jack Murtha in November but they kicked him off the ballot.

For Republicans to have a choice for Congress this November, 1000 write-in votes were needed. OVER 4000 REPUBLICAN VOTERS PUT BILL BACK ON THE BALLOT!
    (About 1000 Democrats wrote him in for the Democratic ticket also!)

:D