Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Tumbleweed Tiny House Company (Greenies' Fantasy) 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Welcome. Come on in. My name is Jay Shafer and since 1997 I have been living in houses smaller than some people’s closets.

I call the first of my little hand built houses Tumbleweed. My decision to inhabit just 89 square feet arose from some concerns I had about the impact a larger house would have on the environment, and because I do not want to maintain a lot of unused or unusable space.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbRvsWuWNUM&

My houses have met all of my domestic needs without demanding much in return. The simple, slower lifestyle my homes have afforded is a luxury for...

feature=player_embedded

Here is their blog and site: Tiny House

It's an interesting concept for people who have no sex life, pets, or material hobbies.

And to have a queer pitch it made it all the more wonderful... God, how out of touch with reality that clown was.. He doesn't like vacuuming, so he lives in a closet? How retarded.
    Last edited by stsinner; 10-06-2009 at 05:29 PM.
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

4. #4 Regarding Tiny Houses 
    Tiny houses are nothing new, in fact simple living has been advocated by people from all backgrounds for a very long time.

What is interesting to me is that a website like this (conservative underground) would poke fun at something that is in many ways incredibly conservative. Living simply is all about putting wholesome and healthy priorities first and not giving into the wasteful lifestyle so many Americans are sucked into by television and large corporate marketing ploys.

I run a tiny house website, not Jay's site, and have found that simple living and frugality attracts sensible people from all backgrounds. The politics of my readers ranges widely and what unites us is the idea that living with less can yield more freedom... which ironically the common American lifestyle seems to be lacking as layers of debt pile up around those in search of bigger cars, houses, and bills.

So just a suggestion... before you bash a good idea put down your differences and hate and hold our freedom up high so you can recognize that living simply is better for our nation as a whole.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tinyhouse View Post
    Tiny houses are nothing new, in fact simple living has been advocated by people from all backgrounds for a very long time.

What is interesting to me is that a website like this (conservative underground) would poke fun at something that is in many ways incredibly conservative. Living simply is all about putting wholesome and healthy priorities first and not giving into the wasteful lifestyle so many Americans are sucked into by television and large corporate marketing ploys.

I run a tiny house website, not Jay's site, and have found that simple living and frugality attracts sensible people from all backgrounds. The politics of my readers ranges widely and what unites us is the idea that living with less can yield more freedom... which ironically the common American lifestyle seems to be lacking as layers of debt pile up around those in search of bigger cars, houses, and bills.

So just a suggestion... before you bash a good idea put down your differences and hate and hold our freedom up high so you can recognize that living simply is better for our nation as a whole.

My my aren't YOU a tad judgmental with emphasis on mental. ;)

We've seen these little houses before on CU and I have to admit you guys go the DUmmies one better. There was a kook on their website who said no one needs more than 400 square feet so Jay is even more extreme.

You're more than likely a liberal Left Wing kook yourself so I'm probably wasting my time.:D

I personally think these widdle houses are cute and would make a neat little
    vacation home near a lake or seashore but I'd be damned if I'd live in one full time.
    My wife and I have 3 greyhounds...where are they supposed to go???

And take your "hate" comment and blow it out your ass. :)
    May the FORCE be with you!

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    My my aren't YOU a tad judgmental with emphasis on mental. ;)

We've seen these little houses before on CU and I have to admit you guys go the DUmmies one better. There was a kook on their website who said no one needs more than 400 square feet so Jay is even more extreme.

You're more than likely a liberal Left Wing kook yourself so I'm probably wasting my time.:D

I personally think these widdle houses are cute and would make a neat little
    vacation home near a lake or seashore but I'd be damned if I'd live in one full time.
    My wife and I have 3 greyhounds...where are they supposed to go???

More likely a doll house for some rich little girl !

If I farted in one of those houses everyone would die!:eek:

Quote Originally Posted by tinyhouse View Post
    "Hate"? Now that's about as judegemntal as it gets, dude.

Nobody on this site is interested in "hating" on homeowners of any kind. We have urban, rural, and suburban dwellers on here. A number of folks on this site live at a frugality level that would make your toes curl and we do it because we want to do it. Not because we follow your morality but because we follow our own.

The fact that a couple with pets or kids wouldn't find this kind of tiny house do-able isn't a "hating" comment. It's a factual comment.

I say this as someone who grew up in a family of 6 - 12 (depending on circumstance) living a two bedroom farmhouse. Don't lecture us about sustainability until you can provide your own bona fides on growing up rural, poor, and fucking thrifty.

It would be nice if the folks behind the Tumbleweed Blog had a passing familiarity with the truth.

1. Permits Costs: The cost of a permit has grown by leaps and bounds over the past few years. I want to give you an idea what an average permit will cost you today. In most places in the U.S. they range from $15,000 to $50,000. Just to add another room or addition to your existing home. Remember that is just to get a permit to build your addition.
    2. Permits may not be available at all: Some towns, cities and counties no longer will issue a permit. You are banned from any new construction or additions in some areas of the country. This takes the ability to add to your home completely out of your hands. The answer is NO!
    3. Permit Time: Once a permit is requested it can take up to one to two years to process. If you need a space addition right away, it won’t happen. It is necessary to plan way in advance and to know your needs are long before the construction can even start.
    In most places permits costs $15,000 to $50,000 for a simple addition? Either the author is a moron or he thinks his audience is. That has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever seen in print.
    Last edited by AlmostThere; 10-06-2009 at 10:10 PM.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Uhhhh... you just made my point. Back to the topic at hand...

Don't you all get it? Big House = Big Mortgage = Lifetime of debt (DEBT SLAVERY)

For just one moment try dropping the anti-everything-like-you position and THINK about it for a second. Would you choose debt slavery if you had a choice? You have a choice and you can hold onto every conservative point of view. This is about money and freedom, nothing else. Everyone could use a little more of that... right?