Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Tiny House Wednesday. 
    It's going to be fairly nice today but then the bottom drops out and we have snow in the 'cast for Thursday. It will be fake, however, so that's good. The coons are now stealing my hard-as-a-rock green tomatoes. The Collie confrontation last night was exciting, to say the least.

My own confrontation with the tiny house drive-by jerk got me to thinking about various tiny places I've lived. Those days a long gone for me now (I hope) but they are still vivid.

TOTD: What was the very first place you lived in by yourself? Was it tiny? Crummy? Scary? In violation of all health codes? :D

Power CUer
    I had an apartment in Boston which had been converted from an old hotel, so the apartments were basically the size the hotel rooms had been. It was in a great location, next door to the State House at the top of Boston Common. The bathroom was huge, but the kitchen was an afterthought, and was wedged into some of the former bathroom space (for a shared wet wall).

It was tiny but it wasn't bad at all. The ceilings were very high, though, and the apartment faced the atrium rather than the street, so you didn't get much natural light unless you were on a top floor, which I wasn't.

The rent was $250/month, utilities included, and I was making about $1000 a month at the time (not bad for 1977, in my first job). I didn't have any credit cards or a car; I've never had proportionately so much discretionary income! :)

Looks like it's corporate apartments now.
    http://www.furnishedapt.com/tour/21b/
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

The first place I lived in really was a "tiny house". The owners had built and lived in this microscopic house while they built their real house on another part of the property.

It was about 8 x 10 feet with a no-fat-people-allowed bathroom (no bath, though - just a skinny shower), a hot plate/sink arrangement, and no closet. On the plus side, it had a completely private entrance, it was set in large garden, and it was cheap. :D

Another perfect day here in the Mojave Desert. It's 70 outside with warmer temps to follow later in the week.

TOTD: I purchased a manufactured home that sat on the front lot of a mobile home park in 1986. The owner had sold it on contract and ended up kicking the people out. I got a good deal, and after a few days of my mother & grandmother helping me scub the place, it turned out to be really clean. I paid $1250 for it and 18 months later sold it for $2500. The lot rent was $90 a month. It had a huge bathroom but the bedrooms were small, my queen size waterbed barely fit in the largest room. The entire home was 10 x 55. This was during the period of time when International Harvester closed, CAT had a plant closing & John Deere downsized...35,000 jobs were eliminated in just a few months...so there were alot of housing deals. The trailer is still there, being sold and resold over the years...
    Last edited by RobJohnson; 10-07-2009 at 02:17 PM.

I'm thinking about moving the tractor and the lawn mower and renting my shed to one of those hippies...
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Looks like it's corporate apartments now.
    http://www.furnishedapt.com/tour/21b/
    I like those apartments, thanks for posting the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    It's going to be fairly nice today but then the bottom drops out and we have snow in the 'cast for Thursday. It will be fake, however, so that's good. The coons are now stealing my hard-as-a-rock green tomatoes. The Collie confrontation last night was exciting, to say the least.

My own confrontation with the tiny house drive-by jerk got me to thinking about various tiny places I've lived. Those days a long gone for me now (I hope) but they are still vivid.

TOTD: What was the very first place you lived in by yourself? Was it tiny? Crummy? Scary? In violation of all health codes? :D
    actually. . . . I've never lived alone. When I moved out of my mothers - I moved in with 6 other guys . . . . and after different housing situations - that were always shared accommodations - I'm married and still not living alone . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I moved in with 6 other guys . . . .
    Well to each his own. Glad you changed your mind and got married!

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    I've never officially lived by myself. I've lived with just Tristan but never solo.:eek:
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    My first apartment had purple shag carpeting and a leaking roof. I got messed up one weekend and painted the entire place PINK. I thought it went well with the purple carpeting at the time. :o
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.