Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 "Whatever" voted the most annoying word in American English. 
    The comment, popularised by sullen teens, was judged more grating than "anyway" and less tolerable than phrases including "it is what it is" and "you know".

"The impetus of this poll was a casual conversation where we started discussing those words that get on your nerves. You hear them over and over again," explained Mary Azzoli, director of media for Marist, a US college which conducted the research among 938 adults.

Nearly 50 per cent of people questioned said "whatever" was the word that bothered them the most. It was the most irritating word in all regions of the country, and among both sexes, all age groups, educational levels and income brackets.

"It is used so often in terms of casual conversation. Also, when you think of the meaning behind it, it is often a way to dismiss someone. It is irritating in that regard. It is much more off-putting compared to any of the other statement we asked," she added.

A quarter of people selected "you know" as the phrase they would like to ban most from the English language. Eleven per cent simply could not tolerate "it is what it is," while seven per cent found "anyway" irksome. ...
    link

Yeah, yeah, yeah whatever. ;)

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    link

I disagree,to me the pause in conversation that some young people use ,ah,ah,ah, while their brains download the next few words to their mouth is the most annoying .I've even noticed it with new Weather Girls and Young Female, Local News,Talking Heads !

Whatever.
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    link

I find 'like' and 'ya know' to be far more annoying myself and I LOATH verbal pauses. if you can't think what to say - say nothing until it comes to you.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I find 'like' and 'ya know' to be far more annoying myself and I LOATH verbal pauses. if you can't think what to say - say nothing until it comes to you.
    I agree completely with this. "Whatever" is a frankly dismissive conversation-ender. It's a non-crude equivalent to the ever-popular "f*ck off".

That verbal logjam composed of "uh", "um", "ya know" and other fillers is highly annoying. People who have that habit and who expect to make presentations or do other kinds of public speaking need to join their school's forensic debate club or else join Toastmasters. Both groups will train speakers out of that awful habit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I agree completely with this. "Whatever" is a frankly dismissive conversation-ender. It's a non-crude equivalent to the ever-popular "f*ck off".

That verbal logjam composed of "uh", "um", "ya know" and other fillers is highly annoying. People who have that habit and who expect to make presentations or do other kinds of public speaking need to join their school's forensic debate club or else join Toastmasters. Both groups will train speakers out of that awful habit.
    For me - it was sitting through an extremely painful sociology professor who hundreds of verbal pauses in a 50 minute lecture. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to die or to kill him more by the end of that lecture.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

I have used the word with customers. One lady told me "you can't tell me that" so once again I said "whatever" She walked away really pissed off, but at least she walked away, she simply would not shut up. :D

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    I have used the word with customers. One lady told me "you can't tell me that" so once again I said "whatever" She walked away really pissed off, but at least she walked away, she simply would not shut up. :D
    Did she ever return oh did she ever return ?

I Picked up a new one that I kinda like .

Its British,"SOD OFF YOU BLOODY PATHETIC WANKER !"
    As near as I can tell it translates into "Sodomize Yourself as you leave you Hopelessly Worthless Sexual Self Abuser?

It's rather 'homey but most British curses are then aren't they ?"
    The only problem is in this Country curse strings tend to 'sing' a bit more !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Did she ever return oh did she ever return ?

I Picked up a new one that I kinda like .

Its British,"SOD OFF YOU BLOODY PATHETIC WANKER !"
    As near as I can tell it translates into "Sodomize Yourself as you leave you Hopelessly Worthless Sexual Self Abuser?

It's rather 'homey but most British curses are then aren't they ?"
    The only problem is in this Country curse strings tend to 'sing' a bit more !
    She never came back, some dude that was trying to impress her, told a co-worker he was going to kick my butt. :p I simply have to deal with some real nut jobs once in a while. :D

Duh.
    I like to shoot people with my CANON.