Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Has 40 Years On The Pill Made Women Prefer Boys? 
    Taking the pill for past 40 years 'has put women off masculine men'

By David Derbyshire
    Last updated at 4:33 PM on 08th October 2009

It ushered in the 1960s sexual revolution and gave women control over their own fertility. But the Pill may also have changed women's taste in men, according to a study. Scientists say the hormones in the oral contraceptive suppress a woman's interest in masculine men and make boyish men more attractive. Although the change occurs for just a few days each month, it may have been highly influential since use of the Pill began more than 40 years ago.

If the theory is right, it could partly explain the shifting in tastes from macho 1950s and 1960s stars such as Kirk Douglas and Sean Connery to the more wimpy, androgynous stars of today, such as Johnny Depp and Russell Brand.

Dr Alexandra Alvergne, of the University of Sheffield, says the Pill could also be altering the way women pick their mates and could have long-term implications for society. 'There are many obvious benefits of the Pill for women, but there is also the possibility that the Pill has psychological side-effects that we are only just discovering,' she said. 'We need further studies to find out what these are.'

The links between the Pill and sexual preferences are highlighted in a paper in the journal Trends in Ecology and Evolution. Scientists have long known that a woman's taste in men changes over her menstrual cycle.

During the few days each month when women are fertile - around the time of ovulation - they tend to prefer masculine features and men who are more assertive. On these fertile days, women are also more attracted to men who are 'genetically dissimilar', Dr Alvergne said. Picking a partner whose genetic make-up is unlike their own increases the chances of having a healthy child.

On days when women are not fertile, their tastes swing towards more feminine, boyish faces and more caring personalities, researchers have shown. However, if women are taking the Pill they no longer have fertile days. That means they no longer experience the hormonal changes that make them more attracted to masculine men and those with dissimilar genetic make-up.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz0TMdE1PNa
    Interesting. It's worth noting that women today are much less feminine-looking than women in the 50s were. I'm talking about ordinary women here - not models or actresses. Even a lot of normal-weight women seem to lack a defined waist or curvy hips.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Interesting. It's worth noting that women today are much less feminine-looking than women in the 50s were.
    That's because we don't do our vacuuming in shirtwaist dresses and pearls, the way June Cleaver and Donna Reed did.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

3. #3 Has Forty Years On The Pill . . . . 
    Any woman who's been on the pill for forty years has been on it too damn long!

I'm adding this one to my list of all-time favorite titles, right next to "Man helps dog bite victum."

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    That's because we don't do our vacuuming in shirtwaist dresses and pearls, the way June Cleaver and Donna Reed did.
    Nah, it's because too many women are fat and not enough of them know how to use underwear to good advantage.

I have never been on the pill, and I never plan to be on it. I'd rather continue to be a smoker, and at my age, I can't do both without serious risks.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I have never been on the pill, and I never plan to be on it. I'd rather continue to be a smoker, and at my age, I can't do both without serious risks.
    I've never taken it either. I can't help but wonder what else it's doing to women who take it for years on end.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    I've never taken it either. I can't help but wonder what else it's doing to women who take it for years on end.
    How about what the pill doing to the worlds drinking water supply ?

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    How about what the pill doing to the worlds drinking water supply ?
    Well, there's that, no doubt. I have plenty of hormones of my own. I don't want to buy them or worse yet, drink them or eat them accidentally. :eek:

I have to wonder why someone would take it for years on end when there is surgery for him and for her available.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Nah, it's because too many women are fat and not enough of them know how to use underwear to good advantage.
    I blame baby boomers. Burning their bra's . . . . refusing to shave . . . .dressing like men . . . It's all the baby boomers fault.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.