Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Sultry Sunday Heat 
    Banned
    Hopefully a sultry sunny day here in Newport, RI where we're planning on spending the day at the beach and on returning to the megalopolis this evening. Went out for a walk on the beach late yesterday afternoon and it was a bit overcast, but the waves were good and the water was bearable.

We're also doing a bit of scouting for the possibility of coming to the Newport Folk Festival, most noted for Dylan's various appearances in '63 - '65. Buffett's going to be here!

Today's topic has been inspired by several things, including some heated discussions I've had this week with several members ("taking the heat" as it were) all of whom seem to think that the most important thing in life is to own a home and a car, in other words the acquisition of material things which will tie you to a time and place. They seem to think that these things somehow validate their lives, give it meaning and purpose. As if, by acquiring these things, they have arrived.

Both posters were male as well. The original Indo-Europeans were nomads who conquered the indigenous agricultural peoples of Europe. But we seem to have evolved into what we conquered, with males in our society assuming the nesting instincts previously associated with the females.

This, in turn, reminded me of a quote from one of my favorite movies, Heat:

Neil McCauley [De Niro]: A guy told me one time, "Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner." Now, if you're on me and you gotta move when I move, how do you expect to keep a... a marriage?
    Of course, De Niro's character violates this rule, falling in love with some broad and going to get her at the moment that he needs to be "walking out." For that, he's caught and dies at the hand of Pacino.

Combine this with Bubba's theme-setting Saturday thread (on film) and you have, unsurprisingly, the...

TOTD: What, if anything, are you so attached to in your life that, should the need arise, you couldn't walk away from in 30 seconds (perhaps a figurative 30 seconds)? And, by "walk away from" I mean abandon completely with no hope of seeing again? And, for the purpose of this exercise, let's constrain ourselves to material things only, i.e., no "what about the baaabbies?" answers.

Speaking from experience, I can tell you that, for me at least, that if you do walk away from your life, oddly enough the things you miss are not the house, the furniture, the big crap, but rather the small things, a photograph, your favorite book or album. And yes, in some cases you can purchase these again (although if you lived in Riyadh or Sarajevo it might not seem so easy), but collecting new versions is often time-consuming.

However, it seems as if the digital age is solving that problem for us, giving us the capabilities at least to be nomadic again. I, for example, have all of my albums stored on my iPod, my photographs digitized and on my laptop as well as my iPod, and my DVDs all ripped to a portable hard drive (I'm not losing my only copy of Fawlty Towers this time). That leaves only the books and, to address that problem, I've just ordered ...

Less rain this weekend and more sunshine, woohoo! I mowed the "jungle" yesterday and thankfully the lawnmower did not die. Hopefully we won't get the daily deluges of the past week so I won't have to mow again until next weekend. :D

TOTD: As usual, thoughtfully original and well-written topic o' the day, CW. (By the way, I love Heat as well, but I am a huge fan of Michael Mann's films. Also, how can you go wrong with a movie with not only De Niro and Pacino, but a great supporting cast) I would have to say I would be hard-pressed to let go of my very expensive collection of limited edition, signed books (yes, many by You Know Who).

You just got one of the e-book readers? Like it? Personally, I am not interested. At all. I don't even own an i-pod device (although the Brat just got one and I've played around with it and admit those things ARE pretty cool). To me, reading a "book" on a handheld e-device is just not the same as a solid, real, paper-bound tome.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    You just got one of the e-book readers? Like it? Personally, I am not interested. At all. I don't even own an i-pod device (although the Brat just got one and I've played around with it and admit those things ARE pretty cool). To me, reading a "book" on a handheld e-device is just not the same as a solid, real, paper-bound tome.
    Haven't gotten it yet as it takes 12 days to ship. I looked around and decided upon the cybook as the best value epaper device on the market now. It comes with Mobipocket software and Mobi seems to be the most agressive ebook publisher around right now. The problem is availability of some of my favorite novels, Chinaman's Chance, Lord of Light, etc. I may have to buy a good scanner and digitize some of my own copies. :D

I agree it's not the same, but all I've tried so far are computer screens and PDAs. This will be my first experience with an epaper device. We'll see.
    Last edited by Cold Warrior; 07-20-2008 at 09:15 AM.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    TOTD: I did walk away from my life once with nothing but the clothes on my back. It was an interesting experience.:D My answer is easy. My wooby.:p
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    It's gonna be real hot here today. High in the upper 90's and I wouldn't be surprised if it topped a hundred. I just got back from picking up some waffle mix and stuff and it's already 89.

TOTD: I can't think of anything right at this moment!! :p:D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    My wife, my family and my bicycle. Wait, I can ride mike bike away instead of walking.

Okay, my wife and my family.

Seriously, my wife and I have no children. When our aging parents are gone, we will miss them but we will also experience a lack of attachment or duty or responsibility or whatever you call it, and we have talked about hitting the road in a school bus, a short one, like the gimps and hammerheads ride, and seeing where the road takes us.

I want to paint it purple or green.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    My wife, my family and my bicycle. Wait, I can ride mike bike away instead of walking.
    You named your bike Mike?
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    You named your bike Mike?

LOL! I retyped and didn't catch that. BUT I LIKE IT!!

My BIKE MIKE!!!

MIKE is my friend. I LIKE MIKE!

Hey, this works for me.

Thanks Shannon!!
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post

Okay, my wife and my family.

Seriously, my wife and I have no children. When our aging parents are gone, we will miss them but we will also experience a lack of attachment or duty or responsibility or whatever you call it, and we have talked about hitting the road in a school bus, a short one, like the gimps and hammerheads ride, and seeing where the road takes us.

I want to paint it purple or green.
    Funniest. Shit. Ever. :D
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    It's gonna be real hot here today. High in the upper 90's and I wouldn't be surprised if it topped a hundred. I just got back from picking up some waffle mix and stuff and it's already 89.

TOTD: I can't think of anything right at this moment!! :p:D
    Oh come on, SaraR...you're $500 working lightsaber, hello? :p