Thread: Deadly Southern Floods Not Letting Up Yet

1. #1 Deadly Southern Floods Not Letting Up Yet 
    Deadly Southern Floods Not Letting Up Yet

The Storms Have Killed at Least Six People in Georgia, Which Has Been Particularly Hard Hit

By SAM CHAMPION and SARAH NETTER
    Sept. 22, 2009

The rain seems never ending for the waterlogged residents in the South, where torrential downpours the last several days have trapped some people in their homes and killed others.

Massive flooding washes out roads and forces schools to close."This is absolutely ridiculous," one Georgia woman exclaimed as she maneuvered her car through the high waters. "I have never seen anything like this in Atlanta before."

Just months ago the region suffered from a massive, two-year drought that left rivers and lakes more than a dozen feet below average. Now some locations have seen as much as 21 inches of rain from storms stretching from Tennessee to Georgia to North Carolina.

Six people have been killed so far, and six others have been reported missing. Among those killed was a 2-year-old, who was swept out of his father's arms in a rushing current, in Georgia's Caroll County. His body was later recovered downstream.

And friends say 27-year-old Delena Weathers was in her car talking to a friend when the water struck and swept her away. She was one of several who had been trapped as their cars washed off the road.

"The last thing we heard, she was floating away," Weathers' friend said.

More than 1,500 residents were quickly evacuated after rising waters breached a levee in Trion, Ga., and hundreds more are dealing with backyards that have disappeared under the water from overflowing rivers and dams.

And the water is cold -- many of the people who have been pulled from the floodwaters have hypothermia.
    Stay safe.

ABC

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    We've had around 13 inches of rain since Sunday. My office has been closed for two days because of flood related problems.

Really bad flooding was just south of us by a few miles, and the Atlanta area really got slammed.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    We've had around 13 inches of rain since Sunday. My office has been closed for two days because of flood related problems.

Really bad flooding was just south of us by a few miles, and the Atlanta area really got slammed.
    But you guys are still pretty much okay, right? :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    But you guys are still pretty much okay, right? :eek:
    Yes. Thanks. One of the advantages of living on a 2200 foot mountain is that you don't have to worry about floods unless you see animals going by in pairs.

I was concerned we would lose power with the ground being beyond saturated but no trees came down on the powerline or the driveway.

The metro Atlanta area has really been slammed.

Hey! Wait a minute! Where are all the cries that the government doesn't care about the flooded people??? Surely you're all waiting for the government to come and sandbag your property, right, Bubba?
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stsinner View Post
    Hey! Wait a minute! Where are all the cries that the government doesn't care about the flooded people??? Surely you're all waiting for the government to come and sandbag your property, right, Bubba?
    LOL. Nope.

What I'm seeing on the TV news is a lot of people helping people in this situation. Rescue crews are overwhelmed. This has been going on since Sunday afternoon. The emergency services people have to be near exhaustion.

I drove by Six Flags last night on I20 and couldn't believe how high the water was. Then, I saw today they closed the road. It rained so hard last from South Atlanta until past Macon at some stretches I had to drop down to 35mph.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

8. #8 Deadly Southern Floods Not Letting Up Yet 
    Boy that looks painful. I like the blood-shot eyes. It would be nice to see more of the new born, maybe its head/body.