Thread: Zer-0 rolls Medal of Honor recipient Max Cleland under the bus. Wheelchair and all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    Cleland did not get reelected in Georgia because he was Left Wing. He really pandered to the Unions. He did not represent the Conservative values of the people of Georgia very well.
    Yes. Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    What I remember was that Cleland and some other soldiers were getting off a helicopter to set up a relay radio tower to improve communication from the units engaged in combat to the support units in the rear. He got off the helicopter and saw a grenade on the ground. He went for it to throw it and it went off.
    This was in the news a lot here in Georgia during the campaign between Cleland and Saxby Chamblis.
    My recollection was that this was during the battle at or around Khe San.
    Cleland's injuries weren't the result of enemy activity, but Democrats have been blurring that distinction whenever possible in order to play up his credentials as a war hero. Chambliss' ads never attacked Cleland's patriotism, just his judgement in elevating the interests of a union over the need for an effective national security apparatus, but again, Democrats demogogued the issue.

On the other hand, Kieth Olbermann really did slime a MOH recipient.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Super Moderator Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Cleland's injuries weren't the result of enemy activity, but Democrats have been blurring that distinction whenever possible in order to play up his credentials as a war hero. Chambliss' ads never attacked Cleland's patriotism, just his judgement in elevating the interests of a union over the need for an effective national security apparatus, but again, Democrats demogogued the issue.

Again, this is entirely correct.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post

Exactly. Chamblis is a classy guy.

Olberman is a vile POS.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Resident Grump

Cleland's injuries would've probably been fatal except Tom in Tib jumped on the grenade to shield him from the blast. They're now best friends and go out to dinner everytime Tom's in Georgia. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    What I remember was that Cleland and some other soldiers were getting off a helicopter to set up a relay radio tower to improve communication from the units engaged in combat to the support units in the rear. He got off the helicopter and saw a grenade on the ground. He went for it to throw it and it went off.

This was in the news a lot here in Georgia during the campaign between Cleland and Saxby Chamblis.

My recollection was that this was during the battle at or around Khe San.
    I believe the grenade he saw on the ground was his own. He failed to secure it and blew himself up. Still, mistakes happen and he did serve honorably.