Thread: Touristy Friday

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Touristy Friday 
    Power CUer
    The weather is awful - rain and cold, in DC.

TOTD: We have friends visiting this week for their first time in Washington. We're doing a prioritized list of the things they want to see, which include the Capitol, Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, Mount Vernon, Arlington Cemetery, Ford's Theatre and the Petersen House, and the Lincoln Cottage.

What would be the top thing be that you would want to see in Washington? Serious answers please, not "Congressmen being whipped through the streets" or something like that.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

We'll have seasonal weather over the weekend so I'll be able to clear out the remains of the garden and evaluate my pumpkin status. The Halloween lights will going up this weekend.

TOTD: I would like to see the mall, the Vietnam Memorial, the Capitol, the Octagon House, "Exorcist Alley" (in Georgetown), the National Archives, and I'd like to tour the White House.

That's to begin with. I'd probably need a full month to see all the things I'd like to see. :)

TOTD: I got to visit DC in the summer of the Senior Year. I was lucky enough to have time to visit a lot of monuments. Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, The Mall, Congress, White House, Roosevelt Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, and a couple of the Smithsonians (Art, and Natural History).

I would like to visit the Air and Space Museum, and I'd love to go back to the Natural History Museum. As for monuments, I'd like to visit the Vietnam one once again. And if I get the oppurtunity to go once my kids older, all in all, I'd like him to see as much as he possibly could.

Power CUer
    Touring the White House is a complete pain in the ass now. You have to go through your congressman's office months in advance and submit your social security # in case they want to do background checks.

No ODS, please... this started during the Bush administration, once the WH finally reopened after Sept. 11.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

The tour I got through the White House wasn't worth the 3 hour wait in line. It was the summer before 9/11. We were shown 4 or 5 rooms, that was completely cordoned off from the actual living area of the White House. I might as well have been walking through a museum on the other side of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    TOTD: I got to visit DC in the summer of the Senior Year. I was lucky enough to have time to visit a lot of monuments. Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, The Mall, Congress, White House, Roosevelt Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, and a couple of the Smithsonians (Art, and Natural History).

I would like to visit the Air and Space Museum, and I'd love to go back to the Natural History Museum. As for monuments, I'd like to visit the Vietnam one once again. And if I get the oppurtunity to go once my kids older, all in all, I'd like him to see as much as he possibly could.
    The Air & Space Museum out by Dulles Airport is much better than the one on the mall.

As an added benefit, you don't have to go into crime infested D.C.

rm -rf obama*

Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    The Air & Space Museum out by Dulles Airport is much better than the one on the mall.

As an added benefit, you don't have to go into crime infested D.C.
    I spent a week walking around D.C. Didn't have a single issue at all. Granted, we where in a high end hotel, and stuck to the touristy area's.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I spent a week walking around D.C. Didn't have a single issue at all. Granted, we where in a high end hotel, and stuck to the touristy area's.
    Of course.
    They keep the "tourist/government" areas very safe.

Go down by the Navy yards sometime, you'll see what I meant.

rm -rf obama*

Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    Of course.
    They keep the "tourist/government" areas very safe.

Go down by the Navy yards sometime, you'll see what I meant.
    I'd have to reason to go down there though.

Funny story regarding this. When I was going through a deployment training program, one of the instructors was telling us about a NCOIC he had while he was in Iraq. They were in Transportation, and part of a QRF (Quick Reaction Force). The next rotation coming up had the unit being replaced by people from Bolling AFB, and he was real happy, because he was going to be getting people who already knew what it was like to be shot at while going to work. :D

Cold and rainy in Connecticut. Actually snowed briefly last night near the shoreline, and accumlated in the higher elevations. The folks are coming down w/ my sister this weekend to stay with the GF and I at my new Townhouse. Any dinner ideas? I'm thinking Pork Roast. Mmmm.

TOTD: I've been to DC quite a few times. Got an inside tour of the Pentagon w/ my ROTC detachment once. Got to walk thru one of the "Air Force 2" 757's, too, at Andrews AFB. I've never been up in the Washington Monument, though. I love the WWII memorial. Exorcist Alley sounds cool. Oh, and what's that locally famous fast food joint that "only Bill Cosby eats for free" called? I'll go there too. Hey, you think Nick Cage could take me on a National Treasure tour? Will Jon Voigt be making an appearence?
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.
    It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
    -- John Adams