Thread: Kilts To Make Comeback?

1. #1 Kilts To Make Comeback? 
    Mailman seeks comfort in kilt

Lobbies for option as Postal Service uniform

Dean Peterson, 48, of Lacey, Wash., owns 15 kilts. Local mailmen aren't too keen on wearing kilts on the job.

By David Abel

Globe Staff / July 21, 2008
    Dean Peterson has heard the snickering.

His 17-year-old son "keeps quiet" about his father's new obsession, and when his 15-year-old son proposed following in his dad's footsteps, the principal at the boy's school warned that other students might pick on him.

But the 6-foot-tall, 250-pound mail carrier from Lacey, Wash., doesn't worry about anyone questioning his virility, or ogling his bare knees. He just wants to feel as free as a woman wearing a skirt.

"A lot of people think I'm crazy," said Peterson, 48, who became a mail carrier after retiring from the Air Force eight years ago. "This is important to me - I just want to be comfortable. I just want the option."

As some 10,000 mail carriers gather in Boston this week for the 66th biennial convention of the National Association of Letter Carriers, Peterson is on a one-man mission to persuade his colleagues to approve a change in their strictly regulated uniforms. He has proposed a resolution to allow mailmen to wear kilts, which he calls a Male Unbifurcated Garment, or MUG.

Over the past few weeks, he says he has spent the $1,800 he received as part of the federal government's stimulus package to send about 1,000 letters and photographs of a mockup of the new uniform to postal union branches in every state, as well as Guam and Puerto Rico.

"MUGs are worn all over the world, and have been for thousands of years because they are comfortable," he wrote to fellow mailmen. "Unbifurcated Garments are far more comfortable and suitable to male anatomy than trousers or shorts, because they don't confine the legs or cramp the male genitals the way that trousers or shorts do."

He argued that pants can cause sweat rashes and added, "Please open your hearts - and inseams - for an option in mail carrier comfort!"
    I like kilts. Kilts look pretty terrific on a lot of guys. That said, kilts are not skirts and no genetic woman would be caught dead wearing a kilt. Women wear kilted skirts and those are completely different.

Breezy

My cousin got married in a kilt of our family tartan, it was awesome.
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace

I'd wear one, but they cost a lot of money and the occaisions for wearing one are few and far between. I might go for a dress one in my family's tartan anyhow. Just because.

When I was a kid, we were the United States of America, Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. Now, we're America, Land of the Sheep and Home of the Nave.

Live each day as if you're going to die tomorrow. Learn each day as if you'll live forever.

Quote Originally Posted by dixierat View Post
    I'd wear one, but they cost a lot of money and the occaisions for wearing one are few and far between. I might go for a dress one in my family's tartan anyhow. Just because.

They are expensive as hell. My brother got one. I wouldn't want to wear one everyday. All them wimmins trying to look up it and all, but I guess I 'd wear it for a special event.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I like kilts. Kilts look pretty terrific on a lot of guys. That said, kilts are not skirts and no genetic woman would be caught dead wearing a kilt. Women wear kilted skirts and those are completely different.

Breezy
    I can visualize you doing a Highland Dance in your ghillies with Sporran and Kilt flapping in the breeze .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emCIxAJCe2g
    Last edited by megimoo; 07-21-2008 at 07:03 PM.