Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11  
    Senior Member hampshirebrit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    TehYuk
    Posts
    3,727
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Try reading a little Nick Hudson !
    How about you tell us what YOU think, what YOUR opinion is, instead of you making us read your selected regurgitations of other people's work over and over and over again.

    Believe it or not, we would be far more interested in seeing what YOU think than seeing the endless repetition of other people's thoughts that we can easily read elsewhere on the big bad internet.

    Sorry to seem harsh here, but on a discussion board such as this, surely original thought should be considered king. No reason why you should not then post supporting evidence to back your view up, but it should indeed be the support, and not the main act.

    When people post, I am interested only in their opinion. Anything else is like having to watch the thirtieth repeat of a worn-out sitcom.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    How about you tell us what YOU think, what YOUR opinion is, instead of you making us read your selected regurgitations of other people's work over and over and over again.

    Believe it or not, we would be far more interested in seeing what YOU think than seeing the endless repetition of other people's thoughts that we can easily read elsewhere on the big bad internet.

    Sorry to seem harsh here, but on a discussion board such as this, surely original thought should be considered king. No reason why you should not then post supporting evidence to back your view up, but it should indeed be the support, and not the main act.

    When people post, I am interested only in their opinion. Anything else is like having to watch the thirtieth repeat of a worn-out sitcom.
    Why in the world would you object to my reference to some great writers works ?

    Are you so slow that it hasn't dawned on you that my recommendations of someones writings aren't indicative of my admiration and agreement with what they have written ?You must be confused as to my reason for posting a particular piece .For your edification what you desire in my postings as to content or style are of little interest to me.

    You seem to have a dictatorial bent to me and can be counted on to vehemently critique and ridicule any content you disagree with without allowing others here to read and voice their own opinions.

    Are you incapable of allowing others to judge for themselves without your boorish outbursts in the background.Your European Cosmopolitan insights are of little consequence in this country and your world views are Euro slanted and your Parochial Attitudes Archaic.

    Perhaps you should host your own domain and dictate the content and style to suite youself !



    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Member hampshirebrit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    TehYuk
    Posts
    3,727
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Why in the world would you object to my reference to some great writers works ?

    Are you so slow that it hasn't dawned on you that my recommendations of someones writings aren't indicative of my admiration and agreement with what they have written ?You must be confused as to my reason for posting a particular piece .For your edification what you desire in my postings as to content or style are of little interest to me.

    You seem to have a dictatorial bent to me and can be counted on to vehemently critique and ridicule any content you disagree with without allowing others here to read and voice their own opinions.

    Are you incapable of allowing others to judge for themselves without your boorish outbursts in the background.Your European Cosmopolitan insights are of little consequence in this country and your world views are Euro slanted and your Parochial Attitudes Archaic.

    Perhaps you should host your own domain and dictate the content and style to suite youself !



    Not at all. I'm not trying to dictate to you at all. All I want is for you to, as you put it "voice your own opinion", rather than burping up someone else's all the time.

    I just want to see the real Megimoo's thoughts, expressed in the real Megimoo's original words. To "suite" you, not me. I'd far rather you "suite" yourself, rather than trying to play to what you think the gallery is, merely by quoting other people.

    I may or may not agree with it, but I'd rather debate you, rather than, by proxy, someone else. The people you are fond of quoting are hardly likely to reply here, are they?

    It would be good if your worldview would also be delivered in understandable English, in a grammatically recognizable form, but that's a secondary gripe, probably way too much to ask for, and so I'll settle for just original.

    You may be right about my world views, but they are at least mine, original, or at the least expressed in my own words, whereas your words are seldom your own.

    I can't disagree with your point of view ... how could I, since you never really express it here.

    All I'm asking for is original thought, backed up by whatever you see fit to back it up with, the first always, the second, not always, and never first.

    Is this really too much to ask?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Member bflavin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I don't hear anyone weeping for Latin. IIRC the most spoken languages in the world are(in no order):

    English
    Mandarin
    Spanish
    Portuguese
    French
    Russian
    Arabic
    Hindi
    Japanese

    All have derivatives of themselves as well. But languages come and go and evolve. The English we speak isn't totally the same as the English spoken in the UK which isn't the same as the English spoken in Chaucer's time. There are several different styles of Spanish. And from French we get Creole. Does anyone speak Hebrew anymore outside of a synagogue?

    Oh, and Doublespeak and Newspeak is already here.
    Latin isn't dead just yet. It's still the official language of the Vatican.

    Hell, I can speak a little Latin. Most of it has been learned at church, but still...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,517
    Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    How about you tell us what YOU think, what YOUR opinion is, instead of you making us read your selected regurgitations of other people's work over and over and over again.

    Believe it or not, we would be far more interested in seeing what YOU think than seeing the endless repetition of other people's thoughts that we can easily read elsewhere on the big bad internet.

    Sorry to seem harsh here, but on a discussion board such as this, surely original thought should be considered king. No reason why you should not then post supporting evidence to back your view up, but it should indeed be the support, and not the main act.

    When people post, I am interested only in their opinion. Anything else is like having to watch the thirtieth repeat of a worn-out sitcom.
    You used the term "original thought" in a post to Megimoo? Had you not had sufficient coffee yet?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,517
    Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    It would be good if your worldview would also be delivered in understandable English, in a grammatically recognizable form
    Now you're REALLY reaching for the moon! :eek:
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,517
    Latin isn't gone. Like the person mentioned in a previous post, I also had four years of it at prep school. It really does help with other languages, and with the reasons for the construction of your own.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Languages are no different from any other human activity; they change, die, or get resurrected depending on the interests of the people willing to use them. Latin is alive and well because it no longer changes in response to transitory social inputs. That's a handy quality if you expect to compare current arguments and observations with those made 1000 years ago. Languages spoken by a dozen rural farmers die out because they are no longer useful to any living speakers other than academics.

    Language isn't art (a comparison the article attempts to make). Language is a tool and its practical function far outweighs any aesthetic considerations. Worrying about minority languages when the speakers themselves are making no attempt to find value in the language is kind of pointless.

    One of my dear friends is a professor and his specialty is Yiddish theater. He is not ethnically Jewish although he did convert to Reform Judaism. Almost no actual Jews are interested in Yiddish theater anymore. American Jews no longer need Yiddish and few can speak it. Fewer still attempt to entertain in it. This depresses my friend who has tried everything short of bribery to interest students in Yiddish.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    American Jews no longer need Yiddish and few can speak it. Fewer still attempt to entertain in it. This depresses my friend who has tried everything short of bribery to interest students in Yiddish.
    There is a fellow in New England who is building a library of Yiddish works; he has saved many from destruction when old Jewish people die and their kids just want to toss these books that they can't understand.
    I was telling my husband about it; he remembers his parents and grandparents speaking some Yiddish at home, but he says, "Of course it's dying out! It's what the grownups spoke when they didn't want the kids to undestand what they were talking about!" :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    There is a fellow in New England who is building a library of Yiddish works; he has saved many from destruction when old Jewish people die and their kids just want to toss these books that they can't understand.

    I was telling my husband about it; he remembers his parents and grandparents speaking some Yiddish at home, but he says, "Of course it's dying out! It's what the grownups spoke when they didn't want the kids to undestand what they were talking about!" :p
    My friend is very pessimistic about the whole thing. For him, he sees it as the end of an entire culture (and it is). However, if the grandparents can't communicate the value to their children, I see little hope for it. People seem to fear being identified with a subculture today unless it's one of the trendy subcultures.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •