Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Confiscation Conversation 
    I'm having something of a dilemma. I think by now, we're all aware of what happened in New Orleans after Katrina - the police essentially going door-to-door in certain areas and confiscating guns from citizens.

http://www.gunowners.org/no02.htm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm5PC7z79-8
    http://www.reason.com/news/show/32966.html

So I want to know the following: If your city is hit by a natural disaster or terror attack, and the police or National Guard, acting on authority from your city's mayor, start going door to door in your neighborhood confiscating firearms, what do you feel it is your responsibility to do? Let's assume you own at least one firearm and there's enough road closure so that leaving the city is not immediately feasible.
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    They will most definitely NOT get my firearms.

PERIOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    I'm having something of a dilemma. I think by now, we're all aware of what happened in New Orleans after Katrina - the police essentially going door-to-door in certain areas and confiscating guns from citizens.

http://www.gunowners.org/no02.htm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm5PC7z79-8
    http://www.reason.com/news/show/32966.html

So I want to know the following: If your city is hit by a natural disaster or terror attack, and the police or National Guard, acting on authority from your city's mayor, start going door to door in your neighborhood confiscating firearms, what do you feel it is your responsibility to do? Let's assume you own at least one firearm and there's enough road closure so that leaving the city is not immediately feasible.
    Well, I'm military, and I'd outrank most of the guard guys who'd be sent house to house, so that wouldn't be a problem, but the police would be. First, I'd demand to see a warrant. If they refused to provide one, then they have no business entering my home. At that point, it would depend on their Rules of Engagement. If they are shooting anyone who refuses them access, then I'd comply, but I'd document everything. If they are arresting and detaininig people, then I'd have a hard choice to make, and it would depend on how safe my family would be with me in a jail cell. If they aren't, then they can go pound sand. What I would not do, no matter what the provocation, is use the weapons against the police. The cops are doing what they've been told to do by politicians who won't be the ones facing angry gun owners. Taking it out on them is never the right answer. Of course, some idiots would actively resist them with the weapons that they're trying to take, which is exactly what the gun grabbers want so that they canl cite any violence as proof that the guns needed to be confiscated in the first place.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Vepr
    I suppose it would really come down to whether it was a localized short term SHTF or a national long term SHTF situation.

I do not want my family in the line of fire if officer unfriendly decides swat needs a call because joe public will not hand over his firearms. Also if the situation is bad enough letting yourself be disarmed so that predators can prey on you at will is not much of a choice either. First I would ask to see a warrant, if they had that I would let them in and all they would find is one pistol and one shotgun. Everything else I have is well hidden and I do not think they could find them all unless they spent days looking.

So technically I would not be unarmed but the thought of letting them walk right in and carry off my property for no better reason than it makes some politicians feel better makes me furious. Also from the experience of gun owners after Katrina don’t expect to ever get your firearms back. The whole premise of checking if law abiding citizens are armed so that you can disarm them is simply crazy. If I was a police officer I would tell anyone giving that order to get bent, I would not want to work for anyone that would give that order.

This is difficult to imagine where I live (Colorado). Denver may be a cesspool of lefty hand-wringers but this would be going too far even for them. Besides, half the people with guns don't even speak English so this plan wouldn't work. The rest of the state just wouldn't see this as a priority in an emergency.

I don't live in Denver but to answer the question, I guess I would just lie. I can look pretty helpless and ditsy when I put my mind to it. That in addition to the hysterical Sheltie barking would send them off to greener and quieter pastures, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Well, I'm military, and I'd outrank most of the guard guys who'd be sent house to house, so that wouldn't be a problem, but the police would be. First, I'd demand to see a warrant. If they refused to provide one, then they have no business entering my home. At that point, it would depend on their Rules of Engagement. If they are shooting anyone who refuses them access, then I'd comply, but I'd document everything. If they are arresting and detaininig people, then I'd have a hard choice to make, and it would depend on how safe my family would be with me in a jail cell. If they aren't, then they can go pound sand. What I would not do, no matter what the provocation, is use the weapons against the police. The cops are doing what they've been told to do by politicians who won't be the ones facing angry gun owners. Taking it out on them is never the right answer. Of course, some idiots would actively resist them with the weapons that they're trying to take, which is exactly what the gun grabbers want so that they canl cite any violence as proof that the guns needed to be confiscated in the first place.
    Sir, I want to thank you for posting an answer with an appreciation of what a difficult situation this creates for law-abiding citizens and the police.

That being said, I think you might be being a bit optimistic. The police wouldn't come to your house with a warrant, but they would be acting under the authority of your city's mayor. They may not have any business entering your home, but it's hard to argue when they have assault rifles and you may be answering the door in your pajamas. I applaud you keeping your family in mind, but if you do not unconditionally comply, you may lose your guns and end up in jail.

I think the long and the short of your answer is to nonviolently resist. I agree that "taking it out" on the police isn't the right answer, but some may make the argument that they are acting in direct violation of the United States Constitution and they became a domestic enemy by not refusing the orders of their superiors. One also might make the argument that for posterity, the government must be shown that they cannot use the police as a weapon against law-abiding citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I guess I would just lie. I can look pretty helpless and ditsy when I put my mind to it. That in addition to the hysterical Sheltie barking would send them off to greener and quieter pastures, I hope.
    I kicked around that idea for a while. I guess it depends on whether or not they have some kind of register about who lives where and what guns they have. If you could lie and get away with it, that's one thing, but if they know beforehand that you have guns and then you lie, I think that gets ugly in a hurry.

I kicked around that idea for a while. I guess it depends on whether or not they have some kind of register about who lives where and what guns they have. If you could lie and get away with it, that's one thing, but if they know beforehand that you have guns and then you lie, I think that gets ugly in a hurry.

This crap only happens with a disaster in a depressed city/area like Liberty city, Watts and N.O. where the chance of law abiding citizen could be terrorzed during the disaster.
    They would really have a hard time here in Plant City! I have 14 firarms and 2 bows and I am probably in the low end of gun ownership.

I would also lie, just like everyone else in town! :D

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Vepr
    Iowa is more strict when it comes to general firearms ownership but I did not hear anything about confiscations from relatives during the floods.

gator
    If you are going to resist the armed thugs of the politicians then you had better be prepared to give up your life becaused they are usually well armed and think they have the right to kill you.

For the aftermath of a hurricane it would not be worth giving up your life for a principal because you can sue them later.

If it is some kind of another SHTF situation and your family's suvival and safety depended upon your arms then you should treat the police just like you would any other armed thug wanting to take your weapons. You may run from them, lie to them or resist them, depending on what would be best for survival.