Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    gator
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    I have 14 firarms and 2 bows and I am probably in the low end of gun ownership.
    Yes you are.

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Well, I'm military, and I'd outrank most of the guard guys who'd be sent house to house, so that wouldn't be a problem,
    Your arrogance and ego are showing again.

Unless you are in the chain of command for a National Guard unit then you rank has no consequence and you are just like everybody else.

I live in an area where many high ranking people stationed at McDill are located. Most of them higher rank than you. Some of them actually were able to attain a rank higher than LTC after 21 years in the service

They are not immune from the police and they would be subject to any action of the National Guard in time of emergency, the same as you.

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    I live in an area where many high ranking people stationed at McDill are located. Most of them higher rank than you. Some of them actually were able to attain a rank higher than LTC after 21 years in the service
    Oh Snap!:eek:
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    Your arrogance and ego are showing again.
    Unless you are in the chain of command for a National Guard unit then you rank has no consequence and you are just like everybody else.
    They are not immune from the police and they would be subject to any action of the National Guard in time of emergency, the same as you.
    Do you ever read past the first sentence of anything that I write? No, of course not. Let's read the whole sentence, shall we? "Well, I'm military, and I'd outrank most of the guard guys who'd be sent house to house, so that wouldn't be a problem, but the police would be." Now, since I have to explain every little thing to you, I'll do so: A National Guard Soldier confronted with a field grade officer would be unlikely to act on his own to demand entry to the house. He'd be more likely to either continue to the next house, or, in the case of a hard case, consult his chain of command, but he wouldn't simply open fire or try to force entry in the face of a senior officer. A cop would be a completely different issue.

Oh, and my prior enlisted time obviously never occurred to you. I'm what is known as a "mustang," a former enlisted Soldier who was selected to attend Officer Candidate School, where I endured far more abuse, far closer up, than you can ever hope to bring to bear. Go back to whining about your carpet. Maybe the cops will conclude that no one with an aqua carpet in their gun room could ever be a threat. :p

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa
    Oh Snap! :eek:
    See above.
    Last edited by Odysseus; 07-21-2008 at 06:59 PM.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

gator
    A National Guard Soldier confronted with a field grade officer would be unlikely to act on his own to demand entry to the house. He'd be more likely to either continue to the next house, or, in the case of a hard case, consult his chain of command, but he wouldn't simply open fire or try to force entry in the face of a senior officer.
    How do you know that? That is an arrogant assumption on your part.

The premise is that the NG soldier was sent to confiscate weapons. He was under orders to do so and you were not using your weapon in your job duties.

You are assuming that the soldier would not confiscate your weapon when he has been given orders to do so. That is no different from the little old lady in New Orleans who didn't think her weapon would be confiscated because 1. she legally owned it, 2) her age and 3) she was only using it for self defense.

A National Guard Soldier confronted with a field grade officer would be unlikely to act on his own to demand entry to the house. He'd be more likely to either continue to the next house, or, in the case of a hard case, consult his chain of command, but he wouldn't simply open fire or try to force entry in the face of a senior officer. A cop would be a completely different issue.

That may be how it works in scenarios with regards to MACDIS operations but, if this scenario were playing out in reality, where soldiers are coming to your house to collect arms ....then your going to be past the point where your rights or rank, or military procedures mean a thing. I think if you didn't give up your arms, in this scenario, you wouldn't be alive very long, much less a field officer. That soldier will be under orders from Big Brother by then....and no one will outranks the one that gave Fuhrer directive #1.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Vepr
    I wonder how the neighborhood would react as a whole. Most of the people in this area own firearms. Disarming the first home might not be a problem but as word got out they might have a mess on their hands. I suppose in a hurricane situation where you might be the only one for a few square blocks it might be a whole lot easier but going door to door in a full neighborhood could be a mess. I do not think I would sit by and watch my neighbors be shot for trying to keep their firearms and I think more than a few of the people in this area feel the same way. I do not have any delusions of winning out against a well organized and trained unit of soldiers with select fire weapons and ordanance like grenade launchers though. :(

I guess it all comes down to the situation in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Vepr View Post
    I wonder how the neighborhood would react as a whole.
    They'd roll over and take it. If anyone resists and is killed or imprisoned, first they'll be shocked that they lived next door to an anti-government crazy, then they'll say he got what he deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    if this scenario were playing out in reality, where soldiers are coming to your house to collect arms ....then your going to be past the point where your rights or rank, or military procedures mean a thing.
    That's kind of what I meant when I said he was being too optimistic. I don't think that to expect them to just go away quietly when they can't produce a search warrant is realistic. What happened in New Orleans was just a hop, skip and a jump away from martial law.

Quote Originally Posted by Vepr
    I wonder how the neighborhood would react as a whole. Most of the people in this area own firearms. Disarming the first home might not be a problem but as word got out they might have a mess on their hands.
    See, now you have a situation. My neighbor a few houses up calls my cell and says the police were just there and took all his guns at gunpoint, and they're doing the same to every house in the neighborhood. He's calling me and everyone else in the neighborhood to let us know. I wouldn't plan on just quietly turning my gun over, but what else is there? Hide it? We're talking about a Constitutionally-protected individual right. You shouldn't have to hide it, and even if you did, who says they won't find it anyway and arrest you? Even if you did turn it over quietly, who guarantees you get it back? There may be a lot of armed citizens in your neighborhood (good), but I guarantee there are more police with better weapons. It would be a mess for the police, but I just don't see any positive outcomes for the regular people involved.
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

Quote Originally Posted by FeebMaster View Post
    They'd roll over and take it. If anyone resists and is killed or imprisoned, first they'll be shocked that they lived next door to an anti-government crazy, then they'll say he got what he deserved.
    So what would you do? Are you a gun owner?
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.