Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Apartment residents told to take down U.S. flags 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Fucking commies!!! :mad:

ALBANY, Ore. - At the Oaks Apartments in Albany, the management can fly their own flag advertising one and two bedroom apartments - but residents have been told they can't fly any flags at all.

Jim Clausen flies the American flag from the back of his motorcycle. He has a son in the military heading back to Iraq, and the flag - he said - is his way of showing support.

"This flag stands for all those people," said Clausen, an Oaks Apartment resident. "It stands for the people that can no longer stand - who died in wars. That's why I fly this flag."
    May the FORCE be with you!

management told them the flags could be offensive because they live in a diverse community.
    I would say that is offensive to the manager....hence the ban.
    That is total crap IMHO :mad:
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

All I can find is a queen oaks apt in Albany.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Seems like a lawsuit might be in order. Flying a flag should be allowed by the first amendment if the same amendment allows burning one.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

I've seen it time and again working in manufacturing.. Puerto Ricans are VERY proud of Puerto Rico, for whatever reason-they all leave the island like their ass is on fire and then throw up the flag advertising their pride and where they're FROM.. So they always want to fly their damned flag or hang it off their balconies, hang it from their rear view mirror, have it put into their back window tint, etc..... Either they or some other nationality prolly did this crap at the complex and it looked gaudy, as it always does, and Americans complained about it, so management said no flags at all....
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

For what it is worth, if I owned an apartment complex I would also have a ban against flags flying from apartments. Before anyone goes off the deep end consider this:

Do you want to live next to a guy flying a commie flag?
    How about a guy with a LOUD flapping (at night of course he won't take it in) flag?
    How about a flag promoting leftist philosophy?

Sooooo, to avoid conflicts in a common place just ban them ALL. Now so far as I am concerned they have a right to hang anything from their vehicles when off premises, and even stickers are OK. But as an apartment dweller you do NOT have the same rights of free expression as a home owner does. Got to get over that.

However, to show how weird the world is getting, a friend related a story he read about in England (his origin). A woman had a large collection of pigs. Stuffed. Porcelain, rubber, etc. Pigs. She LIKED pigs. Some of them were displayed on window sills visible from the street through her windows.

In moves a new neighbor across the street. A MUSLIM immigrant neighbor. The immigrant is offended by pigs. Now, it isn't like this woman put them up to offend. She had them LONG before she had a muslim neighbor. Didn't matter. The town council told her to take them down.

COC prevents me saying what I would have done about that. :mad:

Quote Originally Posted by expat-pattaya View Post
    For what it is worth, if I owned an apartment complex I would also have a ban against flags flying from apartments. Before anyone goes off the deep end consider this:

Do you want to live next to a guy flying a commie flag?
    How about a guy with a LOUD flapping (at night of course he won't take it in) flag?
    How about a flag promoting leftist philosophy?

Sooooo, to avoid conflicts in a common place just ban them ALL. Now so far as I am concerned they have a right to hang anything from their vehicles when off premises, and even stickers are OK. But as an apartment dweller you do NOT have the same rights of free expression as a home owner does. Got to get over that.

However, to show how weird the world is getting, a friend related a story he read about in England (his origin). A woman had a large collection of pigs. Stuffed. Porcelain, rubber, etc. Pigs. She LIKED pigs. Some of them were displayed on window sills visible from the street through her windows.

In moves a new neighbor across the street. A MUSLIM immigrant neighbor. The immigrant is offended by pigs. Now, it isn't like this woman put them up to offend. She had them LONG before she had a muslim neighbor. Didn't matter. The town council told her to take them down.

COC prevents me saying what I would have done about that. :mad:
    They won't allow them on the cars though. Not even a flag sticker. That is an agenda.

This is America. If you are offended by the American flag - fuck off and go back where you came from. :mad:
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    This is America. If you are offended by the American flag - fuck off and go back where you came from. :mad:
    Yes, this is the proper opinion...
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    They won't allow them on the cars though. Not even a flag sticker. That is an agenda.
    Something like a physical exterior FLAG can be banned for legitimate reasons such as potential noise, and the fact an apartment complex doesn't WANT personalizing the exterior of the building. Heck, if I owned an apartment complex it would be a restriction. And I have no agenda when I say that. I would view it as part of the factors of owning such an asset and how to maintain peace and PROFITS. Hey, be as patriotic as you wish but not on MY property :D Cause if I let you fly an American flag (which bothers me not at all) I legally then have to allow that nitwit in apartment 3C to fly a Nazi flag. And someone is gonna break down his door or firebomb his room and my revenues are going to take a hit. Not gonna happen.

Now, I would NOT hassle someone for a flag on their bumper or car window. Or the dude with the bike. Personalized vehicles are the norm and trying to mandate how the vehicles in the parking lot look (other than moveable :p) is out. And I doubt this is enforceable. Depends on how their rental contract is written and how badly they want to stay in their apartment. The dude with the bikes can easily put the flags on every time he rides and remove them at home. No way the complex can do squat about it.

But I think some of you are missing the real core of this issue. For a site that prides itself on individual rights and personal freedom, what about the right of the owner of the apartment building? Since it is their property shouldn't their wishes come first? ;)

The renters have EVERY right to express their patriotism - on THEIR property. Renting does not make it yours. You simply have specified use of it with conditions.